We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from driving to Florida....

Connecticut, US
Level Contributor
22 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from driving to Florida....

In case anyone is interested we just returned from driving to Florida and I added up our cost savings and they really weren't that much vs. flying, I was shocked really. I did a blog post with the calculations.

…blogspot.com/2014/05/we-just-returned-from-…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

Yes, this all depends on how many people are in the car, car rental prices, gas prices, etc. The benefit of driving is that you could go at your own pace and didn't have to worry about flight delays, sitting around in the airport, etc.

Connecticut, US
Level Contributor
22 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

Very true. I should of added that we are a family of four and gas prices are quite high right now.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

There are certainly advantages to flying, and Connecticut is more or less outside the range of a reasonable single day drive (although I've done it). I'm from CT and visit family there at least once a year (I LOVE White Plains Airport!!!). If I have the time I'll drive, but I always stop off in DC for what I consider a mini-vacation. That makes for a nice relaxing trip and I enjoy just seeing the road. But, if I'm trying to iron man it through in one direction or another, it is a tough drive.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

You can't go at your own pace when driving...you are at the mercy of traffic jams, accidents, road conditions, and weather.

Also you need to take time out to eat or use the restrooms, whereas on a plane you don't lose time for those things.

On a plane you can read or watch TV or sleep...in a car you watch the road endlessly. Your legs cramp from sitting in the same position for hours, and it is BORING BORING BORING.

Not to mention far more dangerous with all the texting drivers and other idiots on the road.

I drive in bumper to bumper traffic every day to work and back. It is very aggravating, more so when you are going somewhere you want to be and not just to work.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive to Florida from New England.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

We have a ten hour drive. The cost of gas is only slightly less than the average airfare fare for one. I drive because I HATE flying. For me a flight lasts from the moment I book until I land on my return. I will fret about it for that long. I also tend to travel with a lot of stuff-food, cleaning supplies (crazy lady hotel issues!) and, occasionally, a dog.

For DH flying means two days that he won't miss at work. We own a business and paying for replacement help runs around $100/day. OTOH, I am blissfully unemployed and my time is my own ;-)

Most trips I drive and DH flies.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 15:41
6. Re: Just returned from driving to Florida....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:16