We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday plan - what do you think?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stubbington, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday plan - what do you think?

Hi there, after a lot of help from TripAdvisor through asking questions and looking through posts, I have assembled my plan for my Orlando holiday and I thought I'd ask what people think. It will be me (18) with my mum and dad. We have 13 nights at Disney's Old Key West resort in a deluxe studio room, which was part of the deal that included the free Disney dining. We're staying from the 22nd of June 2014 until the 5th of July. We have the 14 day Disney Ultimate ticket and the 3 parks for 2 at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Busch Gardens ticket. So here is the itinerary:

Saturday 21/6 - Day 0

Get the train up to London Gatwick (2 hours - used Tesco vouchers for the train :) ) and stay overnight in a Travelodge near Gatwick north terminal. Use this time to relax before our flight the next morning.

Sunday 22/6 - Day 1

Get the shuttle bus to Gatwick south terminal. The flight is at 11:15am. On arrival at the resort, relax and get our bearings, eat dinner at Olivia's Cafe at the resort. This is the only table meal we haven't got ADRs for.

Monday 23/6 - Day 2

This is a rest day as we adjust to our new surroundings. I plan to search the resort, it is very large. Later on we're eating at Planet Hollywood at 7pm so will explore Downtown Disney while we're there.

Tuesday 24/6 - Day 3

Animal Kingdom today. We've got FP+ for Kilimanjaro Safaris: 10:25am-11:25am, Kali River Rapids: 11:25am-12:25pm and Expedition Everest: 12:25pm-1:25pm. We've got ADRs for Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom for 5:45pm so we may or may not go back to the resort during the middle of the day, depending on how much we've done.

Wednesday 25/6 - Day 4

Aquatica today. Dinner at Portobello in Downtown Disney at 8pm.

Thursday 26/6 - Day 5

This day is Busch Gardens, will be a long day so we don't have any ADRs for the evening, might just get a hot dog/burger or something.

Friday 27/6 - Day 6

Hollywood Studios on this day. We have FP+ for Toy Story Mania: 10:10am-11:10am, The Great Movie Ride: 11:10am-12:10pm and Tower of Terror: 12:10pm-1:10pm. We'll likely go back to the resort for a rest, so while we're getting lunch at the park we can try and get the 4th FP+ for when we return. Unfortunately I was too late to get a decent time for a Fantasmic Dining package (the available times were too early to eat), so we have ADRs at Mama Melrose's for 8pm, and we're not overly bothered about Fantasmic so we may or may not go to the 10:30pm show, see how we feel.

Saturday 28/6 - Day 7

After a busy first few days this is a rest day. We have ADRs at Paradiso 37 in Downtown Disney for 7:20pm.

Sunday 29/6 - Day 8

We plan to go to Epcot on this day. We have FP+ for Soarin': 10:05am-11:05am, Living with the Land: 11:10am-12:10pm and Spaceship Earth: 12:10pm-1:10pm. Probably take a middle of the day rest again like at HS, hopefully we can get Test Track on the 4th FP+, I guess we don't know at the moment how successful we're likely to be, but we'll ride it first thing in any case. We have ADRs at Tutto Italia for 7:30pm and hope to watch Illuminations afterwards.

Monday 30/6 - Day 9

Today we have pencilled in Blizzard Beach, but might we change this to Typhoon Lagoon to take more of a relaxing day? Is there much difference? Later on we have ADRs at The Turf Club Bar and Grill at Saratoga Springs Resort for 8pm.

Tuesday 1/7 - Day 10

SeaWorld today. This could be a long day out so we have no ADRs for the evening.

Wednesday 2/7 - Day 11

It's Magic Kingdom day! Maybe a little naive to go just 2 days before the 4th of July but hey, it's going to be busy the entire time. We most certainly, however, will not be waiting 4 hours to meet Anna and Elsa, that's not really our thing. The FP+ we have are Thunder Mountain: 10am-11am, Splash Mountain: 11am-12pm and Space Mountain 12pm-1pm. I am watching very closely for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to become available, will probably replace Thunder Mountain, which is something nice to ride in the evening. The mine train is bound to be extremely popular! We're not sticking around for the parade or fireworks, we've seen them before (although not a 4th of July week special), instead we'll see the fireworks at California Grill at the Contemporary Resort for dinner, which we have booked for 9:10pm. I'm hoping the fireworks don't come in the middle of our main course!

Thursday 3/7 - Day 12

We have planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon on this day, but as I mentioned earlier we may swap this with Blizzard Beach. We have ADRs later at T-Rex in Downtown Disney for 10pm, unfortunately a little late, I know, but hopefully that will mean it will be slightly quieter in volume as I've read it can get pretty loud.

Friday 4/7 - Day 13

4th of July and the last day before our flight back so we've decided to avoid parks for the day. If we missed anything on our trip though, this could be a good chance to get it done. We could also have a nosey look around some other Disney resorts. At 6:15pm we have booked the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. After this we may head on over to Epcot or Magic Kingdom for the Parade/Fireworks.

Saturday 5/7 - Day 14

Time to go home and we have an overnight flight. I don't remember exactly what time the flight is but we're not the sort of people to go to a park one last time on the day of departure. Hopefully a nice journey home and many memories to accompany us!

Thanks for reading, what do you all think of the plan?

Level Contributor
923 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

I love the detail and thought put into your plan.

You get far more things achieved if you follow a rough guide.

We aren't bound by reservations as we aren't staying on resort but for those without a plan I don't know how you book Fastpass+ tickets at Disney if you don't know what days / times you're visiting.

Would love to read your Trip Reports, I think a lot of people would appreciate the detail.

Have an amazing holiday

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

A holiday is as it sounds. A holiday

Each to their own!

We like holidaying in Orlando but for the life of me I do like being able to change my mind and not eat at a resaurant at a certain time at a certain place day in day out.

I also can't get my head around per booking fast passes in Disney, WHY WHY WHY this is killing the way in which the 'normal' holidays. or am I not 'normal' ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

Sounds perfect, you'll have a great time. Planning makes all the difference. :)

Level Contributor
923 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

I agree about the dining options Tolly, I couldn't imagine having to leave somewhere to go get ready for dinner but I bet the OP gets more evening activities done than I will.

Tolly - Without Fastpass+ how will you get various things done in one day?

Our first time in Orlando with my Daughter consisted of one day at Magic Kingdom, we met Mickey in his Theatre, met Pluto just outside, we saw the Dream Come True show at the castle, we met Merida from Brave, then we went to meet Woody and Jessie, then went on Ariel's under the sea ride, watched the parade, rushed to meet Tinkerbell and Terrance. That's all we achieved in one day. We arrived at opening and left at 16:30. If I had Fastpass+ 3 of those things based on the average waiting times we would have achieved a lot more. We queued for 85 minutes just to meet Woody and Jessie.

Nothing ruins the holiday vibe for me more than

spending unnecessary time queuing with a heat affected toddler so I think I will love the Fastpass+ system

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

Fast passes are great and anything that reduces queuing time is a good thing! I ddon't know if this is what Tolly means, but I find booking them weeks in advance a tad weird. Like, hey in three months I'm going on holiday, and at exactly 2.35pm on Tuesday 3rd July I'll be riding Buzz Light year. Now I love planning and list making, but itineraries planned down to the minute months in advance are a bit OTT! So maybe that's what Tolly means.

Having said a of that your itinerary looks great! As some other people have said its a nice idea to be able to move days around based on what you feel like doing that day though! When I go I'm going to plan the first week fairly firmly and then keep the second week mostly free as we will know what we want to go back to by then :)

26. Re: Holiday plan - what do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16