We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Its 5am here but body clock still on Irish Time so decided to write a trip report. Flew Dublin-Gatwick-Orlando so anyone using this route might find this useful. Airport in Dublin went fairly smoothly no customs this time so very little queuing. Flew with aerlingus to Gatwick at 7.10am and flight was only partially full so boarded and left early. Arrived in Gatwick and had to go through a security check again, we wernt expecting this as on our previous trip to Orlando (connection flight in JFK) this didn't happen! Security gate was unmanned initially so this delayed us. TIP: If at all possible have your boarding passes printed out for your connecting flight in advance as a few people had not and this slowed the queue up alot and resulted in those people having to queue again after to check in. (The queue was massive and for once it was nice to bypass it) My boyfriend was searched at the boarding gates for some reason but it was very funny nonetheless, the staff carrying out the search were lovely. Boarded our Virgin atlantic flight quickly and left on time. I have never flew with virgin before and I have to say it was fantastic, staff catered to your every need,inflight entertainment was brilliant, lots of food and drink (even ice pops) and quality was very good. Flight was really nice. TIP: Bring a pen for filling out your customs card. Landed early but there was a delay letting us out as someone had their money stolen and they wouldn't let anyone off the plane till the police arrived. Once we got to Immigration the fun started, QUEUES WERE MASSIVE. We were lucky as in we only had to queue for in or around 60-90 minutes but there were 100's of people behind us (a BA flight arrived around the same time as us) TIP: If your travelling with a boyfriend/girlfriend (unmarried)or non family member, do not go to the immigration desk together, it will save you getting an earful. After passing the immigration desk we were horrified to find out there was a secondary immigration security desk MORE QUEUING this moved quickly though. We then made our way to Alamo to collect our car. Again there was a large queue TIP: there are self service machines at Alamo, don't make the mistake we did and not use them because no one else was (assumed they were not working, they were) Got sorted anyways said no to everything offered to us at the desk and collected a spanking new "Dodge Avenger" (mid size) and oh my god its gorgeous (anyone that plays Grand Theft Auto might get as excited as I did) Then made our way to Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando, check in was fast and our request for a pool view room was fulfilled! TIP: when checking in to Rosen inn have passports in hand and vehicle registration plate number jotted down (will save you running out to car for it). So thats it for the moment, sitting here patiently waiting to go to Islands of Adventure (few hours to go) Sorry if the report was long winded!! Overall it was a pleasant journey and now the fun begins!! :)

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Fantastic tr so far I'm odd in that I don't mind the immigration ques as I just love knowing finally I'm in florida :)

Level Contributor
515 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Ile be watching this closely! Fantastic report and tips :-)

Level Contributor
515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Ile be watching this closely! Fantastic report and tips :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
147 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

doing the same trip next Tue, staying at same hotel, We will be watching closely for your trip reports.

Have a great time away from the wind & rain!!!

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Great report. We stayed at the same hotel for two weeks over Easter and reading your TR makes me want to be back there so much. If your at Islands of Adventure for opening, then go to Spider-Man first. That's the one with the longest wait times later on. Also, we found the refillable cup to be really good value. They are about $9 and then about $1.10 to refill each time but you can use it every day your at any of the Universal parks. If the weather is hot and sunny then you'll definitely get your moneys worth. Have a great day!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Some good tips especially for first timers.

Normally your car registration number is on the key fob of your car, saves you having to write it down.

Looking forward to your next TR :-)

Dundee, Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

We too are staying at Rosen Inn and have planned to visit IOA on our first day ...... looking forward to reading the rest of your reports! enjoy your hols!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Not long-winded at all. A very informative and detailed report. Looking forward to your next instalment!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Can I just ask how you requested your room? We are staying at a Rosen inn and I would like to request a decent one!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 1 - Our Journey Here

Tip,your second 'immigration' queue wasn't, it was in fact customs after you ick up your bag.