We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones

We are off to Orlando this summer with 3 teenage kids. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to get 'Pay as we go' sims for all our phones once we get out there. Rather than rely on our British call costs. Need to be able to contact all the kids once out there in case we split up !

If so, are they easy to get out there?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones

I don't think your phone will support there networks as I was going to but a phone last year and it wouldn't work on a English network all depends on what phones you all have also

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones

Sorry buy a phone

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,021 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones

It would be easier to get inexpensive ($20 or under) disposable mobile phones from Walgreens, CVS, Target, 7-11 or even Walmart. Alternatively, you could just get a SIM card from any T-Mobile store http://www.t-mobile.com/

Just make sure you have unlocked, GSM triband or quadband phones.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Nottingham
Level Contributor
167 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones

We have downloaded a free Walkie Talkie App which when you're on wifi allows you to contact others with the same app for free! Works fine here so shouldn't be a problem when using the Park's free wifi :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones

If you are on the Three network and have phones that you are able to use out there then you will have no problems as Three will allow you all to call each other as if you are in the UK.

threemediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/Three-…

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,055 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones

Download Whatsapp you only need to txt and it works fine with the wifi in the parks

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones

This is why I love TA. Several good, inexpensive or free solutions to OP's question.

Great info!

Level Contributor
204 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones

Hi my family recently back from orlando and we are all on the three network. Worked fine. Called home back to family in uk everyday. We also kept in contact with each other when we seperated to go on rides. We also used our phones as sat-navs and it never cost a penny more.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones

3 network, wats app or viber are all great ways of getting in touch while away....

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
815 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phones

We bought a sim from 3 'feel at home' which gives you minutes, texts and unlimited data for £15 (lasts 28 days). We used it a lot to contact each other and to ring/text home. We only used the data when there wasn't wifi but we knew it was there and we also knew it wouldn't cost us anymore than £15.