We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Hi all , so my Mum and Aunt have been collecting there spare change so my kiddies have some spending money of there own (around £250 each) , This is to buy things they want that will help them remember there 1st visit - no boring stuff allowed

So what should I do

Daily allowance? how much is enough ?

Give them it and when its spent its spent?

Put it in the spending money pot and buy them there stuff when they see it ?

The thing I am worried about mostly is my DD (10) likes to think about what she wants to actually spend her pennies on likes to come back when she has made up her mind and what worries me is a good few of the parks we are visiting it is only for 1 day -- what if she really wants that teddy at AK and we are in Epcot ? is the Disney merchandise mainly the same in each park or is what I think all completely different and themed for the relevant park?

The you have my DS (6) no concept of money and would likely spend all his on the 1st day in the 1st shop, then expect next day to be the same lol

Just wondering what you all do - and yous have been very kind answering all my daft questions I thought what's 1 more ;-)

Thanks Lynsey

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

We gave them each a set amount of money. Then, we went to the huge Disney store in downtown Disney on a non-park day. We had an unlimited amount of time to spend in the store and no one was rushed. We didn't have to arrange to have our packages sent anywhere nor did we have to lug them around the park. They picked out what they wanted and then we never went inside any more gift shops while we were at Disney. If you're only spending one day in some parks, you'll want to spend every second touring, anyway.

Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

When I was younger my parents would just give me and my sister a bit at a time and let it build up. If I hadn't spent yesterdays I still kept yesterdays. It was funny seeing my sister with no money and me with all of it(sensible spender) near the end of holiday.. I think it depends on the kid. That was my parents way of making sure my sister didn't spend it all at once and they knew I would be fine until the week. I was clumsy though so sometimes if my money built up to huge amounts they would take some of it away from me and say I could have it back when i wanted something. It really does depend on that factor too.

Wales
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

We have two girls 9 and 6, going to WDW in October. We are planning (assuming you can do this?) to put some money onto a Disney gift card for them each. That way we're not carrying 'money' around but they can still see the balance of what they are spending.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
388 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

We have 12 yrs old twins the firat time we went (8 yrs) got money when they seen something.

Second time (10 yrs) they had there own and son spent $100 girst day in harry potter , daughter ait more careful !!

This time (12 yrs) they have saved them selves from doing odd jobs and got easter money so they will have it them selves , sons comment the other day was " its ok if i spend all mine i know mum will give me more " !!!!

Think id let ur older take charge and maybe help the younger but u know ur kids best xx

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Quote :- no boring stuff allowed

Just who decides that.......lol.....

What's "boring" to me, is most definitely not to my two;-);-);-)

If it's their money, that they have saved, let them buy what they want.

I'm sure all of us have bought something that was "boring" over the years;-);-)

As to only going in one gift shop...... I'd love to try that with my family..... No chance of it happening though.......lol......

Scotland
Level Contributor
304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Wait until you have a 17 and 19 year old and they take their own hard earned cash and buy up most of Harry Potter World - nightmare. Give me the 10 and 6 year old any day. I think the idea of a bit each day and they can build it up to that nice present if they wish. The main Disney shop will have a bit of everything from the other parks just as the Universal does. Have a lovely time.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Unless you actually mean, one shop "per ride" ;-);-);-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

Thanks for your ideas. Chances of me being able to go to 1 store zilch but hey it will be me dragging them in - I love my shopping

The boring part was set out by my mother she was meaning it wasn't for shoes or food (her words) but that was never the plan cos I am taking enough spending money to have a few days at the outlets and will have plenty for us to eat well I hope

I think I am leaning towards a daily allowance

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

£250 is $400 thats $28.50 a day for 14 days. to just spend on toys etc. should be more than enough in my eyes but i dont have children

im sure you will treat them to something bigger like large lego toys or something ;)

chesterfield
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Children's spending money - what do you all do?

My kids have £100 each - there 2 & 4, I'm sure my little girls money will be spent on a Disney dress up clothes (frozen if there back in stock), my son has already picked out the Lego he wants to buy x