We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel day and day 1

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Travel day and day 1

Prior warning - this is long because I'm a waffler and this is 2 days worth so go back now if you're easily bored! These TRs are as much for me to look back on than anyone else! We are made up of me (!), hubster, daughter 11 and neice (7). We flew Belfast-Newark-Orlando, Atlantic flight was quite bumpy in the middle but despite a 40 min delay we landed on time in a v rainy Newark. Immigration here is so much quicker and friendlier than Orlando! Through immigration, customs and security for our Orlando flight in just under an hour. Just time for an ice cream (Ben and Jerrys, 1 smoothie, 2 double scoop cones £18, had they asked for the same back home they would have been laughed at, at that price!!!) before boarding our next flight to Orlando. Great flight, v smooth and before we knew it we were landing (domestic - sooo much better!) had picked up the car (free upgrade to Fullsize, Dodge Charger as picked by hubster) and we were on our way to SSR!

Checked in around 8pm and were given our requested Grandstand location, trouble is it was on the ground floor with a lovely view of the car park....went back and asked to be moved but there were no rooms available until the next day but to their credit, Disney worked with us to find a room we (read I - the family couldn't have cared less about the view from the patio!) would be happy with. We moved the following day to the Springs section with a great view of a lake.

We had essentials (beer, wine, Cheerios, Cheetos, water, bread and butter!!) delivered to the resort by Garden Grocer. I highly recommend this, saves a trip to Walmart for a few days and only costs a little more which for the convenience was worth it.

We let the kids swim for a bit and collapsed into bed at around 11pm!

Woke up at 3.30 am but luckily went back to sleep until 6am. Everyone else was up at around 7.30am - result! First morning tradition is 1900 Park Fare for brekie so we parked up at GF - everyone so excited!! Breakfast was great as usual and we felt then that we were 'home' lol ! We stayed parked up at GF (v bad people!) and took the monorail to MK. I had already booked FP+ for the whole trip and I have to say, everything from Magicbands to the app has worked beautifully. Our Magicbands were waiting for us at check in, already personalised and loaded with the dining plan. Love, love, love the whole FP+ thing - used the first 3 no problem at all the went to kiosk and booked more once they were used! So refreshing not having to get to the park at the crack of dawn to get in the good rides! We exhausted ourselves, had lunch at Columbia Harbour House (where we encountered a v rude couple who felt the need to tell me that our lunch was not very healthy! Really? Get a life was my response lol!) then made our way back to the resort. Took the kids to the pool where we stayed for about 4 hours! Hubster and I had a cheeky cocktail and the kids turned into prunes in the water. We had to drag them out in the end! Went to the campfire and made Smores, (amazeballs - look them up!) for free, no less, before coming back to the room. The plan was to do DTD but it was almost 9 pm and we were cream-crackered so we got the kids a flatbread to share and chilled out. They are zonked now, so they lasted about an hour watching a film! We are chilling with a beer on the balcony, eating Cheetos for tea because we're too tired for anything else! What the heck - we 're on holiday! Top 5 things of today

Waking up and realising where we were!

The kids ever increasing excitement as we neared MK!

The breakfast pizza and biscuits (or scones to you and I) at the above

Splash Mountain (my all-time fav ride)

A sighting of the first possum I've ever seen in my life, in the garden where our building is!

If you've stuck with me this far thank you. Be sure to check back for tomorrow - Epcot and last day of flower and garden, which I'm sure will be just as enthralling as today's write up!!

:0)

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel day and day 1

Great TR, thanks for sharing. Nice to hear you talking positively about the magic bands and FP+ and you made me chuckle with your essential shopping being headlined with beer and wine lol! Looking forward to hearing about Epcot already!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel day and day 1

Hey there :-) great to hear you had a good flight experience and sounds like perfect day at MK :-)

We also are loving the fp+ thing and the magic bands are the best thing ever!! We have had NO troubles at all with ours. Totally love them. So great when staying onsite to just open the room door with your wrist not have to wrestle around to find a key card!!

We are finding though that the MDE app is very temperamental and the wi-fi sketchy at some parts of the parks makng it even more difficult to use the app. That's our only gripe so far but we've made it through this week unscathed really so I'm sure we will get through the next two :-)

Enjoy Epcot!!

Magherafelt, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel day and day 1

Great to hear the Belfast -newark -orlando flight went well , we are doing it on Tuesday. Enjoy your holiday

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel day and day 1

Sounds great! What was with the couple telling you off for your lunch! It sounds like your response was a lot more polite than what mine would have been lol. I'm on holiday for pity's sake- and I'll eat what I want! Not that its anybody else's business anyway. Oooh I would have been mad!

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel day and day 1

Loved your T/R keep them coming , going to be my first time so carnt get enough info !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel day and day 1

Hi there, Great TR, it is fantastic that first day waking in Orlando isn't it.

Can't believe the cheek of some people criticising your food OMG ...

Splash Mountain is brilliant isn't it. I wouldn't do it on our first 2 or 3 trips as thought the drop looked too scary .. Lol but decided to take the plunge(literally) ;0) and now ab love it

Glad you got your room sorted :0)

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel day and day 1

Pleased to hear you had no issues at Newark as we are going that route this year.

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel day and day 1

Great first day and interesting TR Enjoy Epcot

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel day and day 1

Hi there

We are staying at SSR in August, will look forward to your trip reports with extra interest.

A few is important to us too, so glad to hear they accommodated you.

Have a great time.

Scally

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel day and day 1

Lovely TR, keep them comming. P.s the the longer the better.

Have fun at Epcot, looking forward to the next report