We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the Universal parks

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the Universal parks

A friend and I are visiting Orlando in mid July. Was wondering if both Universal parks can be done in one day if we opt for the front of the line option?

We plan to spend most of our time at the Disney parks, but thought we would visit the Universal parks as well while we're there.

I know the customary answer to this would be that doing such a thing would be rushed, but if we're only wanting to hit the major attractions anyway, is it possible to see a good portion of those attractions in one day if we're spending the extra money on the front of the line tickets?

Thanks for any input.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the Universal parks

I have been in June and we had express passes and went to one park on one day and the other park on the second day and were out of both parks by noon or 1 having done everything we wanted to do. I haven't ever been in July, but I would think that if you are not there to see EVERYTHING then it could be done.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the Universal parks

Thanks for the info!!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
397 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the Universal parks

In my opinion don't do it. Universal and Islands of Adventure are better seen on separate days. IOA now has the new Harry Potter and Diagon Alley opened so that in itself could take a day.

Maryport, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the Universal parks

We were there last July and to do both parks in a day would be possible but extremely hard work and a test of your patience. We queued for 2 hours alone for the despicable me ride albeit we didn't have quick queue. The popular rides are very busy and the parks are large so it would be very tiring but enjoy your hols whatever you decide.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,760 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about the Universal parks

Though not open yet, the new Harry Potter expansion is going to drive up attendance, both parks will be very busy. You might pick some high lights of what you want to see or do, just be ready for the crowds.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about the Universal parks

We went to Universal last year at the end of June/beginning of July and did both parks in one day and had bought the express pass. We saw all the attractions we wanted to (including the headliners like Harry Potter, Spiderman, Hulk, Despicable Me and Shrek), stopped for lunch and were back at our Disney resort around 6:30-7:00 pm. In my opinion, with the express pass, it's definitely do-able.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about the Universal parks

It will be doable if you have discipline. You will need to have a plan of attack and stick to it. Certain attractions are pretty lengthy with one or more pre-shows (Shrek 4D, Despicable Me, Twister, Disaster). My advice would be to skip at least Twister and Disaster, waste of time for little reward.

Diagon Alley will be open and I am assuming will not qualify for Express Pass (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is also excluded - but has a single rider line). This area will probably be overrun with crowds and have long wait times.

Take a look at the show times in advance as well. Those can take a chunk out of your day as well.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about the Universal parks

Anything is doable, but we really enjoy the Universal parks and like to do and see everything and repeat favorites, so two days would be the minimum for me (we actually spend parts of 5-6 days there). I know you said you know about it being rushed, but I don't see the point of rushing around on a vacation :)

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about the Universal parks

We went through the single rider line for Forbidden Journey a few times and it was about a 5-15 minutes wait compared to an hour and a half to two hour wait.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about the Universal parks

Thanks all for your input.

One more question….this time about rides.

Which of these is tamer, or are they similar? Transformers or Spiderman? I'm not one to get motion sickness usually, but I've heard some say that those who do might have a problem with these.

How does the movement of the ride vehicle compare to the movement in the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland?

The jury is still out on the Harry Potter ride for me. The ride tech they use might kick the dizziness into play for me if I'm understanding how the thing works. Not a feeling I dig anymore. I saw one review on it that suggested if you're sensitive to such movement, this one could ruin your day. ;)