We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

We just decided to do Disney again in September. It appears that because of the free dining promotion many of the more popular restaurants like Chef Mickey breakfast, O'hana dinner etc are already full. Does anyone have any ideas/strategy on how to pick up reservations that others drop. Is it best to check several times a week or closer to my travel dates? Other ideas?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Call the restauarnt directly. I know this works for many Downtown Disney restaurants. If not keep checking. Download the MDE app and check periodically since it only takes 30 seconds

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

We go in September too and faced a similar problem - just try every day. I actually found calling the number on the WDW website very helpful. The lady I spoke to was able to check for reservations at specific restaurants within a given date range - this was much quicker than doing it myself. No joy with Be Our Guest though :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Check 45 days out...that's when people have to cancel their packages

Bury, UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

We had a similar problem for our Augsut holiday.

I am told that Disney don't release that many tables for pre-booking, they prefer you to tunr up on the day and wait for a couple of hours. Most people I've spoken to have got in the restaurants they wanted but you need to be willing to wait.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Are you talking character meals or just the restaurants in general? In just general dining, just because all the ADRs are gone doesn't mean the restaurant is sold out, there are still standby times available. I am not sure if the character dining follows the same policy, but to some extent I am sure they do.

As others have said there are always cancellations too.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,908 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Disney releases all of their tables for prebooking. Since very few take walk ins,waiting for a couple of hours is not going to get you in. Because Disney resort guests can reserve up to 10 days dining reservations 180 days prior to their arrival,many of the more desirable times are full almost immediately. But lots of people also cancel so you can keep checking back. Calling Disney dining is a great idea;they can be very helpful in finding a particular table. We only book character meals and Victoria and Alberts in advance;otherwise,we just call a day or two ahead and there is always something available-might not be our first choice but we have never gone hungry.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Disfan is correct. All reservations are released up front. Disney does not "hold" tables for walk-ins; ever. Waiting, at a "sold out" venue will not make a difference. "Free Dining" is the worst time of the year to secure ANY venue. If you can secure an ADR, grab it!

Mikejaz, please ignore the information you have been given. I rarely make a stand on a question, however this is completely inaccurate and could cause many problems if others believe this to be true.

Rain Forest Cafe and T-Rex are not Disney restaurants. Call them directly, if you are unable to reserve a table on-line. They DO have tables they have not released to Disney.

Blitz: 1. Call Disney Dining and have them work with you. 800-WDW-DINE

2. Check at 45 days out, as Carmela advised, when packages must be paid in full - many cancel

3. Check at 24 hours, when "no show" fees will be imposed - many cancel

Good luck!

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

Sure sounds like free Disney Dining plan is a head ache. Better to stay off site at a fraction of the cost and be able to go to any restaurant you want. Who wants to have to book weeks in advance or have to wait hours to be able to eat.

Sounds like a load of fun on a vacation. NOT!

Edited: 22 May 2014, 02:54
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

The silver lining may be that September is Magical Dining Month whereby you can get a 3-course meal at some of Orlando's finest restaurants for $33. I don't think the 2014 website is up yet, but this is a really good deal.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Booked Disney - Many Restaurants full!! now what????

I would most definitely make reservations if you can get them. When we have been waiting for our reservations people would go up to the podium and ask to get in and they were turned away saying they were booked solid for the day.

I would check at least once a day, if not more because people do cancel and you never know when they will pop up.

If there are a few restaurants that sound like a nice back up then I would book them now and if something else pops up that you would rather do instead then you can always cancel the other place.