We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying onsite at Universal

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Staying onsite at Universal

Hi there,

I'm travelling to Orlando on the 26th June (we have 2 kids aged 10 and 8) and we have 9 nights booked from the 3rd July on in a hotel in International Drive. Lots of questions and any help appreciated!

Because it's such a busy time we are thinking of staying onsite at Universal to get the fastpass and skip the queues. Does anyone know whether this is worth doing? Once you are onsite (we are thinking of the Portofino), are you pretty much stuck for dining options or are you close to restaurants offsite too? Would you recommend a car while we are onsite?

How long do you think we should spend there? If less than a week is there somewhere nearby in Florida that might be a nice change of pace from Orlando for a few nights?

Thanks!

Chris.

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

We are staying onsite at Loews royal pacific next year, for us the price is great especially so far in advance and the benefits (express passes and early entry to HP world) and location (citywalk has loads of food/drink places) are perfect

I cant imagine booking anywhere else now :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
606 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

A one night stay will get you two days express pass & two days early entry to WWOHP AFAIK, check in early (7am) get your express passes & away you go

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

We have stayed at all three Lowes hotels on site and never look elsewhere as we love them all.

The fastpass is a must if it is busy or the weekend - for example we used them on the Hulk ride with a posted time of 40 minutes and from start to sitting down it was 7 minutes. We don't want to wait in line in the heat so this is good.

There is lots of places to eat at the hotels, City Walk and the parks so you will have lots to choose from depending on what you like and your budget.

There are other places off site if you want to go outside of this area.

If you have any other questions just ask us and we will try and answer them.

Enjoy your holiday

Dublin
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

I really appreciate the help guys - thanks! Do you think a whole week at a Universal hotel makes sense, or would you stay for less time and head off to somewhere else for a few days?

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

We are doing the full 2 weeks of our trip there, but that suits us as a base as we are not doing any Disney parks

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

We have stayed there for three weeks and are doing so later this year!!

We use it as a base and go off to Wet n Wild, Seaworld, Discovery Cove, shopping malls etc

The advantage is that we tend to hit the parks early (using the early admission) and when the parks start to fill up about mid morning head off and return later in the afternoon as these same people are leaving.

There is so much to see and do you won't be bored!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

PS

We don't do Disney either........

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

Another Universal fan here too (we've done our share of Disney). As much as I agree with what has been said above. If you do want a change of pace, then some time on the Gulf coast (Clearwater and St Pete's for example) is also worth it.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,899 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

Two nights is about my limit at Universal in terms of the parks, etc. I wouldn't mind staying there a week, but I'd only do that if I had a car because I'd never limit myself to the hotel restaurants and CityWalk.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,557 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying onsite at Universal

There is a very good chance that the new Harry Potter expansion will be open or opening during your stay. If you're even considering staying on site you should book now. No one knows how Universal is going to handle the early park admission as of yet. It will most likely be a VERY busy time to visit. Enjoy!