We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MK Ride lines in June?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
840 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
MK Ride lines in June?

We'll be in Disney next month and have some FP+ set up (Anna & Elsa, Peter Pan's Flight, and Mine Train) but I'm wondering how long we can expect to wait for rides for which we don't have FP. I'm thinking specifically Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, Splash Mountain. Kids are 4 and 7 and given that we are coming from the west coast I think we won't make it to the park until about noon, so we can't reasonably expect to get there for the quiet morning hours, but we can probably be there fairly late in the evenings (and kids will want to see the fireworks).

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,690 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MK Ride lines in June?

It might depend on whether you are going early or late June. Many schools, especially up north where we got hammered with snow school cancellations, will still be in session the first couple weeks.

The mountains will all probably have 60-90-120 minute waits by noon. Pirates and Small World have large ride capacities and should only be 20 minutes or so. I haven't been since those two added FastPass so could be more, although I doubt they're in many peoples first 3, so shouldn't affect them until later in the day when people pick their 4+ rounds.

You'll lose a lot of prime time by not getting on East Coast time, but I do understand why not everyone does.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MK Ride lines in June?

Thanks 928. If I can rouse the kids early without risking break down I will, but it's vacation and I don't want to make it feel harried. I understand we may miss some stuff given our schedule. We'll be there starting June 14 so sounds like most folks will be out of school by then. Honestly we just plan to skip anything that has more than a 45-60 minute wait. Hopefully that doesn't mean we'll be wandering around with nothing to do!

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MK Ride lines in June?

I know it's not what you want to hear, but your very best bet is to get to a park just before it opens. You'll have minimal lines and be able to enjoy all sorts of things. You'd even be able to do some favorites twice if you want. By maybe 11 AM, the crowds are going to get very intense and there will be 60 minute lines for almost all of the "good" rides.

I'm the only early riser in my family, but I've convinced them to wake up early while at Disney, because they've learned from hard experience that they have so much more fun and so much less frustration when they wake up early and get moving. To help save time in the mornings, I get a grocery delivery so that we have all kinds of breakfast items available that they can eat as they're lying around trying to wake up and get dressed. This includes stuff like bagels, fresh fruit, yogurt, instant oatmeal (use the coffee maker to heat the water!), cold cereal, and so on. This saves us a lot of time versus a traditional breakfast at a food court or restaurant.

At around 1130 or noon as the crowds start to get unbearable, we go back to our hotel for pool, rest, lunch, etc. we usually head back to a park in our two before dinner, realizing that we will have long lines but will only hit a couple of rides or shows.

Getting the kids to a park by 8:55 AM probably won't be much different for them then leaving for school in the morning. And then the built-in time for a break at late morning or lunchtime tends to lessen the chance of meltdowns later in the day.

During busy-ish times of the year, we all unfortunately have to choose between relaxation and enjoyment. Waking up earlier will lead to a lot more enjoyment, waking up later will lead to fewer rides and shorter fuses due to the long waits in line in the heat.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MK Ride lines in June?

CleveRocks thanks for the detailed post - I do appreciate it! Makes a lot of sense. We are not folks who love big crowds but summer is when we have vacation so here we come :-) I'll try to get the family going early to enjoy the parks before the big crowds. We're staying club level at WL so I think here will be breakfast foods we can help ourselves to early in the day. My 7 year old never naps anymore, even when exhausted, but my 4 year old will, so maybe we could at least get naps from 3 out of 4 of us in the afternoon.

5. Re: MK Ride lines in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16