We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls

Hi, We are heading to Orlando for the first time in September and wondered about a few things,

1. When we collect our car from Alamo at sanford will there be any tolls to negotiate on our way to our hotel on I Drive?

2. We have a trip arranged to Kennedy Space Centre again do we need to worry about tolls?

3. We will be heading down to Miami for 2 days again do we need to worry about tolls?

4. last toll question trips to Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota, do we need to worry about tolls?

Sorry to go on but we need to be prepared!!

Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,741 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls

"1. When we collect our car from Alamo at sanford will there be any tolls to negotiate on our way to our hotel on I Drive?"

That depends on how you go. There is a toll road (SR 417) which might be faster during afternoon rush hour. There is also I-4 which has no tolls.

"2. We have a trip arranged to Kennedy Space Centre again do we need to worry about tolls?"

There are a few small tolls, all payable in cash. Just stay to the far RIGHT lane to pay in cash and save your receipts in case of a dispute with your rental car company.

"3. We will be heading down to Miami for 2 days again do we need to worry about tolls?"

In a word - yes! You will need a SunPass from your rental car company because of all electronic tolling in the Miami area. Research this thoroughly as different rental companies have different charges. Some much more than others.

"4. last toll question trips to Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota, do we need to worry about tolls?"

No.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 19:37
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls

1. If you use I-4 there are no tolls. But depending on day and time of day there may be lots of traffic on I-4 so taking the toll road may be advisable.

2. There is a toll road you can take to go there but there is also a non-toll alternative. Up to you which to take.

3. If you take I-95 there are no tolls but there is the Turnpike toll road which is faster.

4. No tolls to those places.

Look at a map of Florida to see the alternative to toll roads if you want to avoid them.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls

Went to cocoa beach last sat, if memory serves me, it was $1-25... $1.00, $1.00 toll to cocoa... As said before, look for signs for CHANGE/RECEIPTS, you have to go to the right hand side to pay, ..

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls

Thanks all,

If i was to use a Sunpass do i have to buy one or do they already have them fitted to the hire cars?

What can i expect to be charged if i use them - I recall reading somewhere a maximum of $14.75 for the duration of the rental ?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls

I only spent $6-50, all quarters!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls

Here's how the car rental companies charge to use their Sunpass feature: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls

See the link AhHah has given. The major car rental firms all off the 'Sunpass' toll feature but their costs and schemes vary. Dollar's fee includes the tolls themselves so costs in when a lot of tolls are driven. That would include down and up the Turnpike.

It depends where you plan to go in Miami. The turnpike around Miami and some toll roads in the Miami area are cashless, so you need a programme of one type or another. These can be avoided if you wish, though it can add journey time.

You can buy your own Sunpass from shops including Publix, but it can be a pain to register it to the car especially for non Americans.

London, England...
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls

From reading that link am I right in saying if my rental agreement is with avis for 15 day car hire I would pay $16.95?

Sorry this sunpass confuses me.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls

$16.75 plus the tolls.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls

I think, from memory Alamo has the most reasonable SunPass payment.