We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

We are visiting family and I am considering a short trip to Disney World with our 2 and 8 year olds. I understand that this is the busiest time of the year so I'd like some advise on avoiding the crowds at their peaks.

Would the decorations be up after Christmas? what about after New Year? Are the parks open on Christmas and New Year day? Is there any time during given period that the pace is a bit slower?

Should we be looking at other parks to avoid the crowds? Perhaps SeaWorld? I don't know what appeal to a 2 year old, she is nuts about Mickey. But then again maybe going to Disney Downtown would provide the same type of Mickey fix :)

We have another period where we will be in Florida from mid August to early September, but I think it would just be too hot for a Disney trip.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

pa
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

Mid August to September would be hot but the crowd levels will be so much more manageable therefore a lot more enjoyable

If you decide to stay with the Christmas time frame, try and visit Magic Kingdom before the 24th, it really is crazy crowded. Parks can and do close to Capacity by mid morning.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

I agree, that whole time period will be very crowded. Downtown Disney is nice, but it's just shops and restaurants. If your aug/sept trip includes right after labor day (even though it's hot) that would be a good time :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

We went during this time in 2013/2014 and the crowds are crazy everywhere including Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is just shops and places to eat, no characters or anything so a bit boring for little ones. We went to Seaworld as well on our trip(on Christmas Eve) which wasn't as bad as Disney but still crazy crowded. We have also gone in Aug/Sept and while it is hot, the trip is much more enjoyable. The decorations are up until January 4th at the parks, but there is no day that is less crowded than the others. The parks are open everyday, but the crowds are only worse on the big holidays, especially Magic Kingdom.

4. Re: Need help with dates: Dec. 21 - Jan 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:16