We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 2 infants

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with 2 infants

Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have been in a similar situation: We are currently in the planning stages of booking a trip to orlando next easter. We will be travelling as 2 adults with 1 child (6) and 2 infants (4 month old and 22month old).The 6 year old will obviously have her own seat and the baby will be in a bassinet seat. Ideally we would like to book an extra seat for the almost 2 year old but realistically its an extra 550euro for a seat for him. Im struggling to justify this amount of money. Has anyone else any experience of fying with 2 infants and not booking the extra seat for the older one? We want to book direct so that only leaves us with aer lingus.

Any advice appreciated..

London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

I would say the €550 is justified! We travelled to Tenerife with a then 1 year old and didn't buy a seat, that was only a 4 hour journey but we regretted it. This time we are going to Florida with him (now 2, so will have a seat) and his sister who will be 6 months old. We have purchased a seat for the baby, even if she doesn't use it too much, i will appreciate the extra space to stretch out while holding her or stretching out while not holding her! As they will be nearly 2, I think having their own seat will make them feel grown up and they will probably behave better- fingers crossed! Good luck. x

Manchester
Level Contributor
820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

I would buy the seat, though I appreciate its more money. We took DD at 12 months & purchased her a seat. Glad we did as it made eating, napping etc easier. I guess you're 4 month old wont be in the bassinet the whole flight due to feeds, changes and wanting to have a look at what's going on so that would leave both of you with a child on your lap which I imagine would not be easy. Also as the flight home will be at night, if your 22 month old has their own seat they might sleep better.

Just my thoughts, and you know your children better than anyone. Have a great trip.

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

Thank you both for your replies, we had only picked easter to go again as he would b under 2 and therefore a lot cheaper so if im gonna pay for the seat for him i might just wait til later in the year til he and the new arrival will b a bit older. Thanks again!

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

Hi Andy

Booked the two bassinets for the to infants it will be worth it I got a bassinet for our 22 month old and it was heaven we traveled with a 4 year old and we got the whole bassinet row of 4 seats over and back with Aerlingus.

Ring them the second u book the flight and get an email confirmation from them from memeroy it's row 12 seats DEFG on the airbus A330-300 aircraft that's one we flew on.

Going over he had a sleep after dinner for 4 hours and was happy on our laps and brought plenty of toys and clouding books, coming home he slept the second we took off and he had to be woken when we were landing and was well worth.

Any more questions just ask

Eimco

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

If you have the seat for the 6 year old why not put the arm rest up and im sure the 2 year old could sit inbetween only leaves take off and landing on your knee? We travelled with our daughter a few times only on 5 1/2 hour flights and seemed to work for us? Alot of extra money for just a seat he/she might not use?

Manchester
Level Contributor
820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

Sean that's a fair point. However if the seat belt sign is on, they wouldn't be able to do this. On our last trip over the seatbelt sign stayed on the whole time. They let people get up for the loo or to quickly retrieve something from the overhead storage. Not sure if it was a security measure as there wasn't much turbulence.

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

Strange never heard of that happening but that would make things harder. I would just hate to pay that sort of money and find she/he never used it.

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

I,m traveling next week to Florida from Glasgow by Thomas cook, what's a basinette? Can this be organised on most flights?

Va
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

Why in The world would you world would you want to endure a trip like that with two infants?

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with 2 infants

45tina- Im not sure TC have these seats.

Im with Sungod on this. We flew a mear 1.5 hrs from.London to Aberdeen for a funeral with a 3 and 23 month old as lapbabies and it was not a fun time. It was OK on the way as we both had 3 seats to ourselves so our eldest had his own seat at the cabin crews say so. On the way back the flight was packed and both of them really struggled. I was glad to be off the plane and vowed that we would not fly antwhere again unless they both had their own seats.

I would think very long and very hard before inflicting this upon your family.

3 seats between 5 people? Really???