We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A genuine tipping question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A genuine tipping question

Hi first of all let me say I have no problem with tipping, I just have a query. We are going to use the eat& play card and I was wondering if for example our bill was $100 and the eat & play card gave us 15% off the bill in that particular restaurant would the tip be based on the $100 or the discounted bill?

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A genuine tipping question

You tip on the non-discounted price.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A genuine tipping question

You tip based on the non-discounted $100.

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A genuine tipping question

Definitely as others have said, calculate tip based on original bill before discount. Nothing wrong with you asking that question, many servers will appreciate it. That is one thing even people who are accustomed to tipping all the time seem to forget.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A genuine tipping question

So that answers the question please let's not have a cultural war on this question lol

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A genuine tipping question

Personally, tipping is commonplace for me being an American. I don't however mind answering questions for people like the OP who are unsure. It's the "I think tipping is stupid" posts I believe that get people all riled up. At the end of the day, no real harm done, so ask away in my book.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A genuine tipping question

I agree susie, let this be the end of it.

Whenever a meal is discounted by whatever means incl coupons, vouchers or cards you base your tip on the bill (before tax) before any discount is applies.

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A genuine tipping question

I know you tip but where do you not tip? I noticed that our hotel had free park shuttles but do you have to tip the bus driver? X

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A genuine tipping question

$100

If you require further confirmation consult the card terms. "Please ensure your gratuities reflect the bill before discounts have been applied." http://eatandplaycard.com/terms.php

It doesn't seem to apply to this card; however, please know that using coupons like this sometimes generates an automatic tip

Also when looking at totals before and after tax it's the before tax you would base it on.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A genuine tipping question

No you don't, unless you want to for some reason.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A genuine tipping question

Pulls up a chair........