We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ticket prices

Boston
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
ticket prices

Why are ticket prices so high? We are going to universal my first time hubby's second time and it is going to cost us just under $500.00 to do the two parks with express passes include. Orlando promotes itself as a family friendly area but I am blown away by these prices. We are also doing epcot one day. Is this price gouging or what? If it is this is sad. No wonder I go to the Caribbean twice a year. But I have always wanted to go. I just don't understand why they charge so much to get into these parks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,031 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ticket prices

"Why are ticket prices so high?"

Because the parks can get it. It's that simple. These are businesses whose mission is to make money for their stockholders. Orlando had 59 million visitors last year and the theme parks know that.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ticket prices

It's simply the economics of supply and demand. To be fair it costs a lot of money to provide the experience of Disney so why would you expect it to be as cheap as a Caribbean beach. I agree it's expensive but it's a decision you can make -go or don't go.

If you go to just Disney or just Universal then it's better value. With Disney the more days you go the cheaper it is per day. universal have multi day and annual passes, which offer good value compared to single day tickets.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ticket prices

Orlando Vic,

I understand where you are coming from. My take is like all the advertising they do online as well as TV. Promoting discounts and all. I am sure we will have a good time. It just seems crazy to me as this is my first time. I do not mind spending the money but I hope it is worth it as we are only their for a few days.

Lassie, We are doing both universal parks one day and epcot the second day. So I expect if you were staying longer you would get a better deal with the park tickets. We will enjoy either way and thanks!

Crawley, West Sussex
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ticket prices

If you were going for a longer duration, the per day price would come way down, but because you are only doing 2 days in 2 different parks, really you can only get 1 day tickets, which is the highest per day cost of all. Also, doing both Universal parks in one day, you will be shattered, and may not enjoy it as much because you will always be rushing to the next ride or attraction, trying to fit it all in! If you can, I would suggest spreading over more days, this will give you more flexibility and will bring your per day cost down, tho is more to pay out in total. Maybe use this as a fact finding trip, see if you like it then save up for a longer trip in a year or 2! Then you will be able to get the better priced tickets and go back to do anything you miss out on this trip! What ever you decide to do, you will have a great time, I'm sure!!

5. Re: ticket prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 22:05
6. Re: ticket prices

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 22:19
Edited: 30 May 2014, 22:19
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ticket prices

It sounds like you purchased the top-of-the-line tickets, so the price, insane as it is, seems about right. It looks like the normal 1-park admission is $96 plus tax these days. If you haven't booked a hotel yet you might take a look at one of the 3 "luxury" Universal hotels, which include Express Passes with the room. That might make it worth the cost.

Disney pioneered the idea of trying to extract as much money from people as they could back in the 80s, and have been working to improve their effectiveness ever since. Universal opened later, but has worked to take it to the next level. It is annoying, but the parks are fun.

8. Re: ticket prices

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 02:05
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,063 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ticket prices

Critter - one day park tickets are expensive

We have bought 14 day ticket which gives unlimited access to Univsersal/Seaworld/Busch Gardens and Aquatica - the cost was £190 each which is pretty good

You can easily spend a whole day in an Orlando park if you want as there is so much to do and see, last summer we took our grand kids to Gullivers World in Lancashire it wasn't cheap and it certainly wasn't cheerful in fact it was bloody awful

IMHO parks in Orlando represent good value for money in comparison

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ticket prices

Totally with you there Susie, do you think it's because we've experienced theme parks in Orlando that we are always disappointed in the UK theme parks. I find myself constantly comparing and really grudge the money!