We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days Orlando and beach ideas

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
14 days Orlando and beach ideas

Hi, sorry if this is the same thing that is always posted but i will go ahead anyway :)

I am going to Florida with my boyfriend on 26th September for 2 weeks staying at the Rosen Inn International. We stayed here 3 years ago and did all the parks, both universal and disney, so this time we want to go for something slightly different, so here's the sort of things we are planning on doing and wanted to know if anyone could make any suggestions of anything a bit different. It is for my boyfriends 30th birthday so would like to make it special.

went last time but want to go again:

Universal Studios

IOA

Sea World (my favourite place)

Aquatica

Outlet Malls

didn't get to last time but considering:

Wet'n'Wild

Busch Gardens

Discovery Cove?? possibility at the mo, reviews are fantastic but looks fairly expensive

a dinner show, suggestions?

blue man group

then we are thinking of going to some of the beaches but have no idea where...maybe Daytona, clearwater, something like that advice would be appreciated. Also fancied a basketball game but don't know if it will beon when we are there, hot air balloon ride, etc.

so basically i want to know if this sounds good if there are any recommendations to go with this or other places to go outside of the theme parks. Also any suggestions of nice restaurants etc. would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance x (we are hiring a car)

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

NBA season won't start till late October, so you're likely out of luck there. Might be able to catch a preseason game at the end of your trip, but you'll have to check. Baseball season is winding down then, but you may be able to catch a Rays game in Tampa. Coupling that with a day at Busch Gardens would be a long day, but fun. Also consider a day at Kennedy Space Center, lots of good stuff there to see.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

Great thanks clhircock i'll look into the baseball. and Kennedy Space Centre i'd not thought about that one there's so much to see and do :)

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

We prefer the Daytona a Beach area for the beach and off beach activities.

You can drive onto the beach for a small fee.

Ponce inlet lighthouse and maritime artifact display

Oceanwalk pier has Ferris wheel at the ocean, shops and restaurants

If you are interested, the Daytona Cubs minor league team plays at Jackie Robinson baseball stadium.

There is a nearly new greyhound race track, very safe and clean.

Daytona Speedway track tour and IMAX is very interesting if you like Nascar at all.

Lots of great restaurants in the area

Krispy Kreme hot donuts!!

Great ocean waves too!

Have fun and post back what you did and how you liked it.

Oh and Medieval Times for a dinner show.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 15:31
Crawley, West Sussex
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

As you have 2 weeks there, you can probably do all this and still have some downtime.

firstly, if you want to do Discovery Cove, then remember, you won't need to pay for separate Seaworld & Aquatica tickets, as you will get 14 days unlimited access to both included, as well as breakfast, lunch, snacks and all drinks (inc beer/wine I think) for the day. Although DC is a lot to start with, you will save £85-90 on separate SW/AQ tickets and you won't need to pay for bf/lunch/drinks that day so will save a bit as well. If you don't do DC, then get the Orlando flex ticket, as this gets you 5 or 6 parks in one ticket SW, AQ, Uni, IoA and Wet and wild and 6th park Busch Gardens. combine that with a beach day in Tampa or Clearwater, maybe stay 1 night in a motel or inn over there so you don't have to cram all into 1 day then drive home at stupid o'clock! You could book something quite basic just for 1 night and would only cost you £20-£40. I'm assuming you will have a car so you can get to the shops and outlet malls fairly easily. Use Google Earth or similar map app to find where they are in relation to you, gives you much better understanding of where everything is if you see it on the map. Blue man group is at Downtown Disney and the tickets can be quite expensive, but apparently the show is very good, tho not done it myself. Youtube it to see if you think you might enjoy it before paying out for the tickets. Kennedy Space Centre is another good day, and again could be combined with a beach day at Cocoa Beach area, or you could drive up to Daytona, or stop anywhere inbetween that you fancy. Again, Google Earth for ideas and think about a cheap motel for 1 night so you can really explore and enjoy the area. Hot Air balloon trips can be done all over the state, but do it in Orlando if you are not tagging it onto a day trip elsewhere. This will only last a few hours so you can still do something different for the rest of the day. Also, as you have to be up before dawn to do this, do it on first day or 2 of your trip, when you're body clock is still on UK time and you will be awake at 3am anyway!!

Above all, as you are doing a lot of different things in your 2 weeks, make a rough plan!! It can be changed if you want/need to but trying to decide what to do today means you could not use your time to best advantage. It's a little sad, but we do a speadsheet so we can see at a glance the days we've got and where we can fit in everything we want to do. It's not set in stone but it gives you a framework to start with.

Also as its a special birthday trip, tell everyone!! You never know what extras or freebies you might get!

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great trip, I'm sure!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

" Also any suggestions of nice restaurants etc. would also be appreciated."

During those last few days of September, try to visit one or two restaurants that participates in Magical Dining Month (every September). The top restaurants in Orlando offer special 3-course dinners for only $33. For many of them, this is a big discount from their regular prices. There are several on I-Drive. Here is the website, although 2014 restaurant names have not been released yet. http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/

The Capital Grille and the Oceanaire Seafood Room are especially good, but there are many others including Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

wow cannot thank you enough for taking the time to give such detailed responses. Hoosier2 thank you for all the sporting ideas they sound exactly what we are after i think i will take a look at both the speedway andand the minor league sounds like a un day out so i think Daytona is definately going into our plans. I will make sure to write back when i have been and let you know how we got on.

KarenLambert thanks for all your info i have had a look at tickets and with the parks being included in with Discovery Cove i really don't think it works out as expensive as what people were suggesting so we have decided to go for that, thanks for the advice. when we were in Orlando Blue Man Group was on at universal are they not there anymore? it is something that we have said we would like to see for a while so id be interested to know if it is just on at Downtown Disney. I have taken note of your suggestion for the balloon ride i hadn't even thought about that, do you know of any reputable companies? we were thinking of doing a night somewhere so will definitely look at this and see what we can combine in with it.

You have really made me laugh about the spreadsheet, i don't think it's sad at all well if it is i am just as sad this is exactly something i would do cannot go anywhere without a list :)

on the idea of staying somewhere, we had thought miami was much further away that what it is would anyone recommend going there and staying over a night and anything there is to do? or would that be time not so well spent.

Orlando-vic thanks for the heads up on the Magical Dining Month, i had heard about it but i wasn't sure what it was, so we will be sure to check out the website when the restaurants are released. We had some lovely meals last time so i'm sure this will be great.

Thanks everyone :)

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

also does anyone know if you need tickets for Magic Kingdom to see the fireworks or can you just go see them nearby?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

Do discovery cove! You won't regret it at all and as previous post advised Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens can be included plus all food and drink!

Blue Man group is at Universal I think Karen may be confusing it with Cirque du Soleil at DTD. We did Cirque and it was a good show but think the tickets are a little overpriced.

Have you been to Gatorland!? It is quite a chilled laid back day (can easy do it in 1/2 day) but the have a zip line all around the park which would be different for you to do!?

Also there are helicopter rides on Idrive which would be nice. We saw some going over at sunset which I think would be amazing! There is an indoor skydiving place too (iFly) which would be fun.

I think you can see the fireworks for DTD but not too sure. We could see them from our hotel on Idrive but obviously you don't get the full effect. We preferred Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios - I'm not sure whether you have seen this show?

Foodwise - we loved Longhorn Steakhouse (there are a few about) I actually miss it now we're home!

Have fun x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

PS - We went to see the Tampa Bay Rays play and it was a great day! Didn't have a clue how they scored, what the rules were or who the players were but the atmosphere was great and was a great day!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 days Orlando and beach ideas

For the Magic Kingdom fireworks, watch from the 4th floor observation deck at the Contemporary or the beach at the Polynesian. You won't see any from Downtown Disney :)