We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney or Universal??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romulus, MI
7 posts
Save Topic
Disney or Universal??

I will in Florida with my 3 children next week and we were thinking about visiting one of the theme parks but I'm not sure which would be the best choice. My children are 15, 12, & 8 ... the 15 & 8 yr old are thrill seekers. I've heard Universal is a better park for rides but Disney IS Disney (my kids have not been to either) Any suggestions on which one would be better since we only have one day free to enjoy! :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney or Universal??

You can find amusement parks with thrill rides all over the country. There are only 2 places in the country to go see Disney. Everyone should go to Disney at least once in their lives, IMO. I would go to the Magic Kingdom.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney or Universal??

I agree, Disney is Disney and it is a must when you're a kid no matter the age.

But why don't you ask them what would they prefer? Yes, Universal has the best thrill rides in Orlando, but as mentioned thrill rides can be found somewhere else. However, if they like Harry Potter, Marvel, Jurassic Park and such then Island if Adventures gets an edge.

If they go towards Disney then go to Magic Kingdom, just the place is beautiful and the themed is fantastic.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney or Universal??

I asked my son your question (13) he said definitely IOA for roller coasters and Harry Potter

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney or Universal??

This question will get various relies for Disney and Universal, and various replies for what is best park at Universal or Disney.

It"s a personal choice PERIOD! there is NO best! They are all good and worth a visit, no matter which you choose you will enjoy, thats why Millions of visitors visit every year and the addicts here on T.A have visited many times each park over and over again.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,997 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney or Universal??

Could you not squeeze in two parks??

Best of both worlds then:-):-)

Hi BV :- It's not a bad thing to be addicted to is it:-):-):-)

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney or Universal??

Mike C.

You could be addicted to a lot worse things. Just remember you are missing out big time if you think and only visit theme parks while in Orlando and rest of Florida area.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney or Universal??

I'd recommend Universal for the ages and thrill seeking nature of your kids. However Disney is Disney, as you say and I can't imagine going to Orlando and not visiting! Maybe once DS is older I will not visit Disney but at the moment he is a good excuse!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney or Universal??

Hubby and I can get universal and islands of adventure done in one day when its not so busy. If you do this you could get a fast pass so you can get on all the rides quicker.

Personally I'd wait until you can do Disney properly as it has 4 parks. But if your never planning on going back to Orlando then do Magic Kingdom as it is a must :)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,997 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney or Universal??

BV

No not missing out, we visit other places as well:-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney or Universal??

I'd try to do both (if possible). From what you mentioned if I had to pick one that u felt would be best I'd say universal/IOA. But man since you guys have never been to disney I find it hard to completely exclude that all together.

If you could possibly do a 1-2 day and maybe add a park hopper to at least try to experience as much as you can