We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Have just returned from 10 days in Orlando, 3 at the Pop Century and 7 at Hyatt Regency on I Drive. Checked into Pop Century on 18th May and woke on the 19th to an infestation of bed bugs.There were some still crawling around under the pillow and we managed to trap a couple by putting a paper cup on top of them. Pest control took some time to arrive and immediately confirmed a positive outbreak. What a great start to our holiday.

All our belongings had to be sent off for treatment and we were left with the clothes we put on that

morning. We were each given $100 to buy new clothes for that day so the ones we were wearing could also be treated. They waived the charge for that night and moved us to another room. To be honest, we were not too keen on returning but had no option until our belongings were returned. The other room was free of bugs, we checked really thoroughly and it seemed ok.

By the next day my daughter was covered in bites which she had a really bad reaction to and we spent most of our time in first-aid getting gel and anti-histamine to relieve the swelling. As a result of this our Disney Days were spoiled really and I asked for a refund for our whole 3 days.

After much debate they reluctantly gave me the money back.

The hotel were not that bothered and it seemed that as long as they move you to another room, you really had nothing to complain about, I didn't see it this way and will never return to the Pop.

I know they can appear in any hotel so check very carefully, we thought we had the first night, but obviously not.

It was a relief to leave and check-in the the Hyatt Regency which I will report on later

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Pop Century...
11,108 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Things happen, least they gave you your money back and $100 for some clothes. Certainly unforseen and least they tried to get rid of them right away. Never a good thing but can't fault Pop, any hotel is subject to bed bugs, as you state look around first before unpacking in any hotel/resort.

Disney is no different from any other! Sorry for your situation, but least they did what is necessary .

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Yuck.

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Any chance you brought them with you from your plane? It's always possible.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,695 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Hope you didn't bring any to the Hyatt or back home :(

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Oh no! I'm really surprised that's happened at disney. I don't know how bed bugs start but we've stayed at Pop and loved it.

I think they looked after you quite well to be honest, don't know of many other places that would give you $100 each for clothes and then a full refund. I agree it must of spoilt your holiday though. Hope your little girls ok now :)

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

It sounds like they looked after you and resolved the problem quickly.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Dreadful start to your hols 397, people who have not encountered this problem can't imagine how bad this can make you feel and one problem is that they are not always visible. We had this problem at a very up-market resort and it took us 3 days of ruling out other possibilities before determining it was bed bugs. You always get someone suggesting that you could have brought the problem with you as if it couldn't possibly be the hotels fault, sort of adds insult to injury. Sounds to me like an instant refund should have been given!

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Re: "You always get someone suggesting that you could have brought the problem with you as if it couldn't possibly be the hotels fault"

The bedbugs don't just grow at the hotel. They have to get there somehow. And the most frequent way is through someone's luggage. When you have thousands of people traveling from many, many places in the world, bedbugs hitched a ride on someone's luggage somewhere and then onto another set of luggage. Then they show up in a hotel.

Disney is really very good about their pest management program. They have dogs that sniff out bedbugs and use them frequently to inspect the hotels. Once the bugs are reported at a hotel by a guest, Disney goes into action to manage the problem. Just like they did with the OP.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Ive had bed bugs in 3 other hotels, you may not feel like it but you actually got lucky. Ive been offered a new room but never have i got a refund or had my luggage cleaned or compensation to buy clothing. It sounds like Disney did a good job on this occasion. Incidents like this are rare but not pleasant when they happen to you.

Not a great start to your holiday, hopefully it got better.

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pop Century Bed Bug Issue

Hi everyone

Thanks for your messages. Yes I know they can appear in any hotel, it is just a very unpleasant experience

especially if the bites become infected which unfortunately they did with my daughter who is 27 so not a child, thank goodness, that would have been much worse.

They took about a week to start getting better and have now almost cleared up completely. I did hear they use Beagle dogs to sniff out any problem, maybe they need to employ them before a new guest arrives. i did see some being walked along the lake path but thought they were just dogs belonging to guests.

The rest of our holiday was fantastic and despite the Disney Magic not being there, we had a great time.