We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable forms of ID?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Suitable forms of ID?

Me and my boyfriend are in our early 20's and fly to Orlando on Friday, so just getting all our last bits together. We will be wanting a few drinks at various bars/restaurants but I don't want to carry our passports - do places accept photocopies of your passport or does it have to be the original? We both have full UK driving licences too so could take those if they are accepted as photo ID?

Thanks in advance.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Your UK driving license is a valid photo ID. A photocopy of your passport is not.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Brilliant, thanks Hawkeye.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Use your drivers license as ID...though when we travel,we keep our passports with us, I don't trust the safes at hotels.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,037 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Hi BD12_x, I'll let others from the UK account their experiences, but the most suitable form of ID would be your original Passport. Because that is the ID you need to enter the country that is also the form of ID you are reasonably expected to be able to produce. To ensure no problems, that is what you should use.

More info...The drinking age in FL is 21. While you don't have the issue if you are in your early 20s it is probably worth mentioning for others who might see this. It is unlawful to sell, give, or serve to someone under 21. It is also unlawful for someone under 21 to have it in their possession as well as to misrepresent their age.

If you look under 30ish you should be prepared to be "carded" - in the US the most common form of ID is your Drivers License which is a credit card sized card.

In the Fall, someone mentioned a policy change at Disney regarding acceptable IDs for alcohol for foreigners. At the time, I decided to take a closer look at the Florida law regarding underage drinking. Though I couldn't find a direct reference to the effect of " Acceptable forms of identification to prove date of birth for the purchase and or consumption of alcohol are X,Y, Z", the law does list "a driver’s license or an identification card issued by this state or another state of the United States, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card" as the identifications, having been checked, which would provide a licensee an adequate defense in an underage case.

So again, to ensure no problems, you should carry your Passport. The Disney policy seemingly allows a foreign Drivers License (with picture and birthdate) supported by a photocopy of the Passport. This combination will likely work most everywhere else as well. But I wouldn't count on foreign Drivers License alone. While it might seem that a government issued picture ID - your Drivers License - would be, perhaps should be, good enough, Licensees really can't be expected to know what all foreign IDs looks like. You may or may not get away with it on its own. I think it is really going to depend on the person you are dealing with, the place you are at, and/or the situation you are in. At Disney, under the new policy, it is not meant to be acceptable on its own.

Perhaps this is a bit hypocritical because I wouldn't expect a licensee/employee/clerk/cast member/whoever to know what the Drivers Licenses from all 50 States look like either, but while every state has their own design there are also nationwide standards on what is contained on one and the requirements for getting one. A well trained person should be able to spot a fake US Drivers License.

If I were under 25 and wanted to drink, I'd assume I'd be carded, and I would carry my Passport (or at least a photocopy of it with another picture ID) to avoid the possible disappointment of being told no/sorry.

A photocopy alone definitely won't work. If it does, that person shouldn't have a job serving alcohol.

While there may be a tendency among foreign visitors to lock up their Passport for fear of losing it, the US mentality is that you don't go out without your ID so you will be expected to be able to produce one if asked or be OK with the consequence of not being served.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Never ever been carded in orlando and only 48 very disappionted

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Thank you 1031Orlando for your reply (and very long one) I will definitely take my driving license accompanied with a photocopy of passport, I just really don't want to take my original passport out and risk losing it. I'm the youngest looking 24 year old you will ever see so it's a must to carry ID, I know that! Thank you again.

Wallasey
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

We go Friday from Manchester with monarch 😄

leeds
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

Oh I don't envy your flight with monarch - take some entertainment rumour has it they have no tvs on board! We fly thurs - so excited!

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

DB12 - I am over 40 and at one place two days ago in Ecpot was refused service. I had 2 government issued photo ID's. They were not going to accept them and said we had to have a passport with us or the ID;s with a copy (paper) of the passport. They would not accept a digital copy from dropbox. They said it was a Disney rule (which others said was a government rule).

So, I would make a copy of your passport just in case to take with you. There is no way I would carry my passport around everywhere. See below thread.

tripadvisor.com/…58687972

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitable forms of ID?

galway you must look well old lol I get carded every year and I'm over 50!! lol