We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theme Park Warriors....

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Theme Park Warriors....

I read quite often on here about people going to Malls and having pool days to relax during their holidays. I was just wondering if there were many Theme Park warriors out there like myself.

My aim on holiday is to cram as many rides, shows, parades, firework displays and character meetings in as possible.

I wouldn't know where to find a mall and I've never even seen the pool at any of the hotels I've stayed in. We go to the parks for opening and are usually dragging our feet out at closing time (although we do pop home during the day for a shower and freshen up before we head back out) We always go in May when the crowds are manageable so the days are usually spent going on rides again and again and again, sometimes they just let us stay on instead of queueing again too :-)

Are we mad? Are there others like us??

I have to add that we don't have children which makes this kind of trashing holiday do-able, I think it would be quite harsh on little ones and appreciate that family's need days off their feet!

I should also add that we actually train ourselves before we go, 3 months before the holiday we get on the exercise bike every night to get our legs ready for it, the one year I didn't, I ended up with really bad knee injury, and a bad back (I'm only 28 haha) People think we are insane, but to us it's how we like to spend our holiday. Almost killing ourselves! :-)

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

I'm not sure if I'd quite qualify as a theme park warrior, but I have been to Universal and IOA at least a dozen times this year. I used to try to jump on as many rides as I could. But, I discovered that in my old age, going around Dragons 5 times after twice through Potter and once or twice on the Hulk leaves it hard to stand up straight. Now it's more about knowing how to avoid the lines and just going on three or four fun ones, then grabbing lunch or a snack.

If you really want to train, I'd find something that rapidly starts accelerates and then stops over and over again to help get used to the movement. It's kind of like being a fighter pilot. You've got to work up to it.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Haha yea, maybe I should attach a seat to the top of my car to help me get myself ready! It's more the physical drain from just being on my feet all day, standing watching shows, walking around the huge parks, I'm an office worker and generally don't do alot of exercise, If I don't get myself a little bit ready then I'm a mess after a few days.

My parents come with us, my Dad is usually ahead of us the whole time, pushing us to keep up and my Mam is dragging behind bless her.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

We are a family of "Theme Park Warriors". We hit the parks each and every day from opening to close and we have a great time. We have a vacation home at the Jersey Shore so we are relaxing on the beach during the summer weekends but the Folrida vacations are for the theme parks - mainly Disney. We'll hit the parks with our three boys, now 20, 14 and 12, and make sure we do almost everything at least once and then on the last day we'll "relax" in the Magic Kingdom. This usually means hitting our favorites again and then taking the time to catch the Casey's Corner Pianist, the Dapper Dans, the castle shows, the Main St. Philharmonic, the Main St Vehicle rides and maybe a parade or two. Our last day is like a stroll in the park. . In Cancun you only have beaches and night clubs. In Myrtle Beach you have golf courses and bars. In Florida, there are just too many things to see and do!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Yey!!! You are officially my friend :-) That's what I'm talking about. If we need a day of relaxing it normally involves starting at a waterpark and then finishing with a less stressful park like Epcot or Seaworld. Or like you say, spending a day in Magic Kingdom watching the street shows etc.

We are THEME PARK WARRIORS!!!

letterkenny
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

I usually go with the best of intentions to do the same but I get as far as the mummy and always find myself in the Irish bar across from it ,all the plans go out the window then.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Well your still in a park though so it kind of counts haha!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Oh yeah-Finnegans is a must stop for me too.!

Level Contributor
1,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Lol! We used to be theme park warriors but we are finding the more we go (and the older we get!) that we enjoy the pool and shopping too. I wouldn't exactly call them rest days though - we shop 'til we drop and can't lie still on a lounger so we're off messing around in the pool!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

I'd say we can qualify as warriors. We're not with the rope drop crew though (more like nightowls). We only get up that early to go to work or catch a flight! Usually get to the parks around 11ish - but we stay until the last firework dies out and shops are locking the doors! It's just me and DH now, but even when our 4 boys were young...they hung with our schedule and we usually visited for spring break and / or summer. Now that youngest is almost 21& legal, the plan is a another family trip with parks all day - every day and clubbing at night. We live in Chicago, so we shop at home and figure we can rest at home. Orlando is an adventure vacation...when we want to relax, then we go to the beach! :-)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
812 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theme Park Warriors....

Hi

You maybe interested in a website called Dad's Guide to WDW. They have interesting challenges for "Warriors" of both sexes.LOL.