We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

Hi, on checking our recently received itinerary, we arrive in orlando international at 13.40 but time for car collection is 18.05. Does anyone know if this is collect by 18.05? Surely we don't need to hang around for over 4 hours?! Also just realised that the basic virgin car insurance doesn't actually cover us enough! Does anyone have experience of booking their own insurance before they go? Got a quote from think it was insurance4less for £109 n covers undercarriage, windscreens etc as well as the necessary stuff. Read on here that hire car companies may not accept this when u get there, has this happened to anyone? Also how much as the taxes & fees that ur liable to pay when u arrive if insurance is not fully inclusive through Virgin? I have emailed virgin but as yet haven't received a response.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

best thing to do is just upgrade to fully inc through virgin, it covers you for everything

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

Actually, assuming that buying insurance as a separate entity doesn't work out for whatever reason, then DO NOT upgrade with Virgin.

Perversely, it will almost certainly be cheaper - and you can check this out for yourself - to abandon the "free" car altogether and start from scratch with eg usrentacar with car rental plus full insurance. This DOES work and is accepted by the rental companies.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,501 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

If you decide to stay with Virgin then upgrade to one of their insurance packages that covers you for everything. You need Collision/Loss Damage Waiver among other things so getting the upgraded package is essential. I don't understand why they have put down such a late collection time for your car. I would phone them and get them to alter it to a time nearer to when you land. I doubt it will take you 4 hours to clear immigration and customs!!

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

id rather let the holiday company do all the hard work for me, 2 weeks for £240 suits me fine and at least i know its done properly as id be useless at sorting it :/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

I would request the pickup time for your rental be altered. We've gone to collect a rental 2 hours in advance of the pickup time and found out that the rate would be higher since we were there too far in advance of sheduled time. We were told that we should have changed the time in advance of arrival. Although there's the possibility that rate could change if we did...it definitely increased when we arrived to early (over $100 in fact). In our case we just went for a bite to eat and came back about 30 minutes before pickup time, but since your wait would be longer than ours...you should see about changing the time.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

18.05 is the pick-up time- not the "collect by" time. Getting the car much before 18.05 will result in a charge. Have your pick-up time adjusted.

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

Thanks guys. I've spoke to virgin, the man was very helpful & stated that they leave 2/3 hours to collect ur car to allow u to clear customs & it would be fine to collect the car early. I stated that this might not be the case due to feedback I'd heard & when clarifying the times, there seems to have been an error, it should be collect at 15.05 & not 18.05. Also the insurance upgrade is £320 as we need a 7 seater, this is only slightly (£10) cheaper than an rental 7 seater I can find on rental sites. Thanks for all ur help, looks like I'll be upgrading to fully inclusive with virgin.

8. Re: Own insurance for 'free' virgin car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16