We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Hitchin, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Our original plan was to take both cash and a credit card out to Orlando, but we've been hearing a lot of things about credit card fraud and it seems to be quite a common thing in the area.

Because of this we were considering getting an ASDA prepaid currency card to take out there instead (We would keep the credit card with us in case of emergency)

Does anyone have experience with these cards? We were wondering if it was possible to check the balance at ATMs and if they are accepted in restaurants, etc. as it seems like a much more secure method of paying... Or are we just being a bit paranoid? Would a credit card be fine?

It is our first trip to Orlando so any information on the subject would be great!! Many thanks

Belfast
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

We used a prepaid card last year (not asda) along with some cash for tips and taxis etc.

it was mostly used for shopping and eating out and we never had any problems with using it in these places, however we found we could not take money out of cash machines easily (there was also a $3 charge) luckily enough we had brought cash enough to tide us over and the shops didnt mind giving cash back if needed.

We were able to check our balance online when needed.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Not sure about the fraud comments as we have never had an issue with that but I guess whatever there are tourists and workers on a low income then you will get fraud wherever you are in the world.

We have always used our debit and credit cards - however last year a 'new' charge appeared for foreign transactions. It is 2.99% with a minimum of £2.99 which cost us a lot last year as we were not aware of this charge.

This year we will take our cards and use the credit card when we check in we have got a US$ card from FairFX to avoid the charges. You can check your balance and top up on line while in Orlando using your UK bank card. You avoid the extra charges as you pay in dollars.

I would look at Money supermarket for their reviews but sounds like a good idea to have a prepaid card or a UK card with no foreign fees on it but they will make their money with a poor exchange rate!

Hope that helps

Chelmsford, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Hi GafferH.

We always use the Fairfx.com prepaid cards, I actually topped mine up on Sunday as the exchange rate was really good. We find that these are a lot less hassel than using your own UK cards, no crippling bank exchange rate either, and as the card is a Mastercard it is pretty accepted everywhere.

As for balance, the FFx card is based online so you can just log in and see what you've spent and how much you've got left, as well as being able to transfer some more money on to it if you've spent too much money in the Disney gift shop!

We always have a credit cards with us as well just in case, as you can never know what can happen, and we also take cash. Taking cash out is easy, we tend to go to Walmart, Publix or other supermarkets as they charge less to withdraw and I think there is a charge from the prepaid card but it's still cheaper than using a UK debit/credit card.

We've used the Fairfx card since 2011 and we've never had a problem and I don't think we'd go to the States with out them now. I hope this helps! :D

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

We're leaving today and have used the asda cards.. They are great! So easy to use and can check your balance online and the second after your transaction, it shows up as leaving your available balance as well as where to and how much! We obviously took about $800 cash, but used the card pretty much everywhere before we used cash, and you can use it for tips! Couldn't recommend it enough.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

" we've been hearing a lot of things about credit card fraud and it seems to be quite a common thing in the area."

I haven't heard about any unusual problems with credit card fraud. and it certainly isn't common.

Hitchin, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Just going by what I've read online.

Thanks everyone else for your advice :)

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

A few things spring to mind:

1: as regards Credit Card Fraud. If it is a real problem (and I am wholly unconvinced - since I took out my first credit card in the late 1970s, I have seen exactly ONE fraudulent transaction, and that was in the UK). And I use cards almost exclusively both at home and away. Importantly, though, as the customer you ***DO NOT LOSE ANYTHING*** in the case of a fraud. The only cost to you is the inconvenience; your money is protected. To mitigate against the inconvenience, have one or two other cards to hand as well.

2: as regards costs. If your bank wants to charge you £2.99 or any other amount; if your bank wants to load your exchange rates by a percentage - then get another card from somewhere that doesn't. There is no rule that says you MUST get your credit card from "your bank". There are plenty of other institutions willing to issue cards and some have zero fees and zero% exchange rate turns. I have umpteen cards, each of which has some benefit; whether it be cashback, AirMiles, or an unamended wholesale exchange rate for currency transactions. I choose which to use based on which one gives me the greatest benefit.

3: as regards prepaid cards. If it's denominated in USDs and you top up in USDs, the conversion from GBPs will be done at a rate that is NOT as good as wholesale. So it costs more than a fee-free credit card. If it's denominated in GBPs then whenever you spend, the rate will be worse than the wholesale rate. So it costs more than a fee-free credit card. There is no cheaper way to spend in foreign currency than a fee-free credit card.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Doesn't the prepaid cards attract the same type of fraud as it would be on the credit cards as they are just about the same thing?

If fraud is committed on a prepaid card, the money on the card would be lost and I presume this is protected by the card company but how long will it take to get your money back?

If fraud is committed on a credit card, you will not feel the money has been lost as your money is sitting quite comfortably in your own bank account. Later you can communicate with the card company on the fraud with no lost of money to yourself.

The best method of payment for a traveller to use overseas remain a fee free credit cards. You get the best exchange rates and consumer protections.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:01
Scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

Consider getting a card with a second card, in case the hole in the wall eats your only one, or you go swimming with it in your pocket. That would be just my luck anyway. Thomas Cook cash Passport gives a second card, but I don't know whether it's the best deal around.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit cards and the ASDA prepaid currency card

A search on the forums will give you lots of conflicting advice.

Like SCAN I have had a CC for decades and so far not had a fraudulent transaction.

I like the prepaid cards, but I also always take a Halifax Clarity card and cash. It works for me and I understand about the exchange rate but you choose to take that rate when you buy your dollars. If the currency goes up or down when you use your CC then that will be at a different rate.

Do what feels comfortable for you.