We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

Hi, we are looking at staying 10 nights next august at saratoga or old key west, my son will be 9, does the dining plan for "kids" mean he wouldnt be able to choose the same things off the menu that he would were he 10 and classed as an adult?

He's great with his did so would like him to have more choice than the typical kids meal of nuggets /burgers.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

That is right. Buy him a 10yrs+ plan, as that is the only way he will get the same selection. ANd remember, anyone on the adult plan can request a 'kids meal' but not vic versa

corby
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

disney have many buffet restaurants,the adults and kids will eat the same sorts of foods.

the kids menus in other disney restaurants are limited, my kids have eaten of this menu a few years back and mostly enjoyed the food

we're going back this august and have a dining plan, my 10 year old will be allowed to eat of the adult menu this time and he's looking forward to it

if people were to book a holiday with disney and be untruthful about the ages of their kids, it could backfire,they probably have en-counted this before and could ask for proof of ages to anyone they suspect

if people are having a one-off meal at disney, but not booking a holiday with them, they could get away with lieing about the age of their child, 10 year olds dont eat the same amount as adults so i can see why this happens, especially when asked to be up to $60 for a meal

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

He's a big lad height wise not weight wise, I can't see the harm in claiming he's ten - claiming a ten year old is nine is a different thing. And as I say given his height they would probably ask for id of we claimed he was 9 (which he is).

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
628 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

I have purchased adult dining plan for my niece just because someone else ended up having to work. It was already paid for by that point and I'm happy we did it. They seem to treat her more like a Princess as she was given two menu's and her dessert was always made to order. She came to love that feature.

I will say that $$ wise I did not get even close to what her dining plan cost. BUT it was worth every penny for the extra magic and it made our vacation so much smoother. I'm a firm believer that you feel better when you eat better and this gave her the option of veggies and fruit more than the children's plan.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

Disney has no problem when you put your child in as older....just not younger. You can tell then he is 9, but want to purchase his dining as a 10year old to get the adult meals as opposed to the chil meals.

However...you then also have to use that same age....10...in buying the park tickets. Age 9 still gets child rates....age 10 pays adult rates.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,997 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

No problem whatsoever.

Your paying "more" so are covered in any eventuality.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

You should be fine. The kids menu does get a little boring at quick service places. Not a huge issue at table service locations. You are basically lying and paying Disney more money, so why should they care?

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

As far as I am aware there is no difference I the credits when it comes to counter service and they are all lumped together, so it would depend which plan you are looking at

I am sure someone could confirm that

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

There is no difference between adult and child quick service meal credits..they are all calculated the same. When my 9yr old was on the dining plan i never once brought a kids QS meal..always got adult and no one ever questioned this. Snack credits are all counted the same too so you can get the same options with adult or child plans.

Table service are listed as adult and child but it depends where you want to eat as to if it is worth it or not. If you plan to eat mostly buffets or family style dining save your money as he can eat what he wants anyway.

Kids menus are not all chicken nuggets and burgers, take a look at the menus of the places you wish to eat, alot have fish, steak and chicken

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I say may 9 year old is 10..

LOL first time I've heard somebody trying to up their kids age to spend more money, but I get where you're coming from. They're never gonna say no when you are upping your spend, probably don't even need to say he is 10 just say can you pay adult meal price.