We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What car to hire for family of 6?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
What car to hire for family of 6?

Hi, we're looking at car hire from Sanford for two weeks. There's 5 adults and a toddler in a car seat. We'l have a large suitcase each and hand luggage.

Hubby's unsure if a 7/8 seater mini van will be big enough as they say they only hold 4 suitcases. But the next step up in a huge 15 seater!

Will we all fit in mini van?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

It will be a squeeze;-)

We get 7 seat minivan, but there's only 4 of us, but when the twins were in buggies we got 6 cases, 4 cabin bags, 2 buggies, changing bags in, with no problems.

The thing is, can you all squeeze in as it's only the trip to & from the airport it'll be a little tight?

The main time you'll have plenty of room.

Cases between seats & on laps for your journey to hotel/villa only:-):-)

You will be able to arange the seats accordingly though, as there quite flexible:-)

I've driven around in a 15 seater & while it wasn't a problem, it became a pain in the a***

Edited: 19 June 2014, 19:15
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

The smaller vehicle will be more comfortable to drive for the rest of the trip so I say squeeze in for the trip to and from the airport. A 15 seater is a pain to drive and park, plus parking fees might be higher for 15 seaters.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

I don't think so either, especially since you have all the luggage and a car seat. The three rows will not hold everyone and luggage, you should consider getting perhaps a car also and use it just for a 1 day rental to get you to your hotel and use the van for your day trips.

Have a look at Carl's Van Rentals and see what they can suggest.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

Mike is right...you can fold down the seats for a 7th & 8th person, which gives you more room for luggage. If that doesn't work, then some of your party could take a taxi to & from the airport while couple of you bring bags in the van. For daily outings, the minivan will do fine.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

Or you could hire a shuttle to and from the airport then rent a 7 seater van for the rest of your trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

You could also consider a Premium SUV (like Chevy Suburban - 8 people / 5 bags).

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

Thanks, I got a quote for a return shuttle and it was £40 each. The car hire is only £60 each so that's not an option.

I think we'l just all squeeze in and put bags on our laps if we have to. Shame they don't come with roof racks!

Mississauga, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

Yeah i think it will be tough to fit 4 bags in the back of the minivan. The 3rd row really takes up trunk space. I would say go have a look in person and compare the van to the Chevy suburban recommend above.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

This is just an estimate, as we don't know where you're staying. If you do need to split your party up, with some taking a taxi...it might run between $87 - $130 one way from Sanford (depending on where you're staying).

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,865 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What car to hire for family of 6?

I agree a Large SUV would be suitable.