We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Just booked with Thomson and we only get 10kg baggage allowance for my nearly 2 year old. I'm wondering if I should pay £20 for 5kg more?

Her suitcase alone will weigh about 3-4kg and il have to have her car seat included in that on the way out, we're have to leave it there as well as I'm not paying for it to come back!

I wouldn't be as worried if ours was more than 20kg. Thomson have cheaped out a bit of this I think considering we had to pay £70 each for baggage and Virgin include 23kg for everyone including infants :(

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

I just checked my documents and Thomson are allowing us 23Kg per adult. we are travelling Dreamliner, are you perhaps not? as for infants only being allowed 10Kg I personally think they need more with everything extra you need for a wee one but I suppose they are trying to get more money out of us by making rules like that. however, I would pay the extra to get 5Kg more lets face it your gonna need it.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

to be honest id leave the seat at home and buy one out there they are cheap as chips

i cant see a 2 year old needing more than 10kg clothes are half the size. what i would be worried about is your suitcases. 3-4kg sounds like an adults large case. id look for something smaller and lighter

also you say shes nearly 2. does she become 2 before you come home?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Unfortunately that is how low cost/chartered airlines work that they will try to get as much money out of you as possible. But mind you scheduled airlines are swaying that way too now.

The initial airfares of low cost/chartered airlines maybe lower but you will need to add up all the possible extras and compare it with the schedules airlines with all their inclusives.

Whether you should purchase extra baggage allowance, that is really for you decide whether you will need it or not. 10kg really isn't a lot.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

You must be in Premium Lindamullin? Even with the Dreamliner you only get 20kg in economy. However in both economy and premium it's still just 10kg for under 2 year old.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Yes we're in economy on a dream liner. They didn't have any premium seats left or I would of been tempted to get those.

Just called them about adding 5kg on and apparently she doesn't get hand luggage either so looks like il be packing my things in her trunkie!

By the time I add on the extra baggage and choose our seat I'm up to the same price as virgin!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Reality is all airlines are looking for ways to compete. Making these things extras mean some people can get a cheaper fare as they dont need them. It was easier back when you could take two cases with some of the shceduled carriers. Virgin include more but that just means it is baked in the ticket price already. I assume the same flight with virgin was more than you are paying with thomson.

Given the low limit I assume you are not purchasing a seat for your nearly 2 year old. This is why the weight limit is so low. I think you will need to buy the extra weight

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Yes the flight was £560 and virgin was £616. I understand infants don't get quite as much but it appears Thomson offer them the least, no inflight meal, hand luggage or car seat. Its not like she was free either I still had to pay £80 tax for her to sit on my lap!

They don't do childs seat pricing either, so I'd have to pay an adults seat rate.

Better get hunting for a super lightweight suitcase! Lol

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

How long are you on holiday for? If you all get 20kg each plus the 10kg we have never gone over and lets face it we all take more than we need. We have been on holiday with an infant with thomsons and had same allowance and managed no problem.

Try and get some scales and fill all your bags with what u will take and see what they weigh. But defo matalan superlight suitcases is a big help.

Edit: we also get 23kg each as well in eco think its down the hotel u are staying at.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 10:36
Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

Edit my edit it is 20kg my mistake

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 10kg for an infant with Thomson

I just flew thomson and they allow you a car seat and a buggy in addition to your luggage allowance.. 10kg for an infant I thought was plenty, my son is three and had a full 20kg allowance and was no wear near that, in fact he had a trunki with clothes and it was around 5kg for the whole holiday.