We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Topic
Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

Hello! I am hemming and hawing over whether to try AK and would really appreciate feedback from experienced WDW-goers!

We will be spending 5 days at WDW in Dec with our almost-3-year-old. I have been to MK, Epcot and (then) MGM, but it was a looooong time ago. DH has never been.

We plan to spend at least 2 days at MK and 1 at Epcot (I looooved Epcot back in the day!). Plan to skip HS this time around. Our toddler is the adventurous type so I know she will go on a ton of rides, but sitting through shows isn't our cup of tea. We also will be doing a pretty substantial mid-day break each day as nap time is important to ALL of us, lol. ;)

That being said I am debating how to spend the remaining two days. We could do a 2nd at Epcot an 3rd at MK, or should I add AK to the mix! I could just wait until we get there and play it by ear, but then of course we'll miss out on pre-booking our fastpasses. Thank you everyone for your input!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

Hi Mischa23,

My brood loves Animal Kingdom! And especially since you have not been, I think you all would enjoy it very much! And btw, your plan to go back to your room for a break and nap, is superb! That is exactly what I used to do with my 3 when they were little. Works like a charm for EVERYone! LOL!

new york
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

I think you'll like Animal Kingdom. I love it. Your 3 year old should get a kick out of Affection Section, which is like a small petting zoo sort of thing. I would devote at least the morning hours and perhaps early afternoon to Animal Kingdom before your nap. I would take Animal Kingdom over Hollywood Studios (MGM) any day of the week.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

animal kingdom is a great park for little ones,lots of animals to see and just a nice place to walk around.we take our grandchildren there alot and they never get tired of it.

have a magical time!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

If I have to pick a park to miss AK is the one that I would choose. That being said, with two days at MK and one at Epcot already, I'd give AK a go! It's a slower paced park and has a great atmosphere. Prepare to do a lot of walking though.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

We love AK the theming is beautiful and has a more relaxed feel. Agree with post 2 would take AK over Hollywood studios any day

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

I would try out Animal Kingdom-she would love the safari and Rafaki's Planet Watch. They also have several cute rides she could go on in Dinoland. You might want to reconsider Hollywood Studios though, even for part of the day. Our little ones love visiting Disney Junior Play n Dine(a character meal with Disney Junior characters) and meeting them near the Disney Junior Show. She might also like the show because it is very interactive-you sit on the floor and the kids are encouraged to stand up and dance, pop the bubbles, etc.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

I'd give Animal Kingdom a whirl- there ar two different walking trails with animals, the Safari Ride- where she can spot animals- Rafiki's Planet Watch*, which has a petting zoo, some rides and the area just after the entrance (the Oasis?) which also has more animals.

* You take a train to it. Not a cute train like the Milwaukee Zoo train but a train.

Keighley, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

AK is really good ... we love the safari and always head there first..!! do you have park hopper tickets so that you could head to a different park if you don't like it

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

Personally I'd hit all 4 before repeating any. Though planning ahead for 2 days at MK is a good idea.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hemming and hawing over Animal Kingdom...

I think Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are worth a go.

If your little one loves animals at all, Animal Kingdom will be fun. The safari is just exceptional, to see real animals so up close like that is awe-inspiring for kids (and even adults too!). She might also enjoy petting animals at the Affection Section or digging for fossils in the "boneyard" at Dinoland. It might only be worth a 1/2 day for your family, so if you have park hoppers I would definitely spend some time there.

As for Hollywood Studios, there are many things there for kids, however many of them are shows (Muppet Vision 3D, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast) so if that isn't your thing then maybe you are making the right choice. Keep in mind that it can be worth it just for the Disney Junior attractions, if your daughter is into that.