We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls

Hi

We're going to Orlando in November for 2 weeks. We plan to drive down to Miami for a night and to Tampa for Busch Gardens

Is it true that that Florida Tolls dont accept cash anymore? Will we be on a toll road at any point? At the car rentals they always try to charge a fortune for a sunpass, is there another way of getting a pass if we cant pay cash?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls

There are some places in Miami that have unmanned toll booths and you have to pay electronically. Here is the link to Sunpass:https://www.sunpass.com/index which should tell you where the toll booths are. I understand there is a way to set up toll by plate but not sure if that is any less than paying for Sunpass. I understand there are some car rental companies that charge less than others. You can pick them up at 7-11's and some gas stations, walgreens CVS drugstores too.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls

I have a SunPass since I live here, but I see folks tossing coins in all the time. Yes, they still take cash, but some toll booths are unmanned, so you need LOTS of quarters ($0.25). I haven't driven down to Miami in several years, but I take the Orlando area toll roads constantly.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls

Oh, just make CERTAIN you do not get into the "Prepaid"/Sunpass/Epass lanes. Local folks trying to get to and from work want to pull their hair out when someone has ignored all the signage and gotten in the wrong lane anyway, blocking traffic for an interminable amount of time! LOL! And that happens way, way too often. Augh!! LOL!!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls

1. In Miami, yes. In Orlando, you can still pay cash

2. The Turnpike is a toll road.

3. Yes, see above.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls

Southerngirl, the ones we are talking about do not take cash either. They ONLY take Sunpass. Its literally an electronic toll only and mostly in the southern portion of Miami right now. However Ft. Lauderdale will be getting some soon and I also heard the Skyway Bridge in St. Pete will be that way too. So in some areas you will have to have a Sunpass or get billed a huge fee for going thru without one.

I agree you really have to pay attention to which lanes you should be in. In Most but not all cases the Sunpass lanes are on the left and cash lanes on the right. The cash lanes can also accept Sunpass but the Sunpass lanes cannot accept cash.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,730 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls

Most major rental car companies now have a Sunpass Program in place:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls

Objets, that's a good link, thank you.

I'm hiring from Avis, picking up at MCO. So, reading your link, it look like I'll be automatically included for drive thru.

Does that apply out of State as well?

I'll be driving up to Tennessee (Memphis, so through Alabama and Mississippi) and returning the other side, through NC and Georgia.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls

Good to know, Bornwithwheels. I have one thing to say, the toll system has gotten to the point of highway robbery!! It's ridiculous the way they keep going up. Ugh!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls

Hi - I live in GA and we do not have any manditory Toll roads right now. We do have one interstate where you can travel in a far lane and pay the price but you must have a peach pass. So just dont get in the fast lane - this is on I-85 above I-285. I've never experienced any Toll roads in NC, SC, TN, MS or AL but you can check each states website to see if they have toll roads.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 17:52
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls

All of the ones in central Florida take cash (keep in mind that some exits and entries only take change so make sure to have quarters on hand.) I have heard that a few in South Florida/Miami require payment by credit or debit card.

Here's are two calculators you can use to estimate tolls between locations. www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV3/index.htm and https:/…TollCalculator.aspx Always bring an extra dollar or two just in case but it has worked for me in the past. (Testing it this weekend on a short trip to Atlanta using the 408 and Turnpike.)

Edited: 25 June 2014, 18:27