We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Ok so our next trip isn't until August 2015 (431 days to be exact!) Let me give you a bit of background to my question...

There will be 8 of us going, all paid for by my wonderful Mum & Dad in-law. The reason behind this is they are now both retired, and have always said since their grandchildren were born (18 years ago) that they would one day take them to Disney World.

Now while they have never been hard up for cash, obviously a trip like that doesn't come cheap and they have never had the opportunity to do so. They sold their house in February of this year and announced that now that they are mortgage free they are in the position to take the grandchildren, but would also love to take her 3 boys too.

So, all in all, there will be Grandma & Grandad, 3 sons (2 of which are single), 2 grandchildren and myself with my parter who currently don't have children.

Obviously, 8 of us for 14nights in a Disney property with WDW and US tickets included is costing them quite a bit, so we wanted to all chip together and do something amazing for them whilst they are out there as a big massive THANK YOU!!

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything we can do for them? I have looked at booking a show? Possibly La Nouba or Blue Man Group, with a lovely meal before it ... or does anyone have anything else that they can recommend?

Thanks

Zoe x

Clola
Level Contributor
405 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Hi not sure if this a suitable suggestion but my mum organised a ballon ride for my dad for his 60th birthday trip and they both loved it x

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

My husband and kids enjoyed a helicopter ride around Orlando.

I would love dinner at Victoria and Alberts.

Do you think any of the tours that Disney offers would interest them?

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Wow, how generous are they? Lucky you, it will be a great holiday! I would recommend Roy's if they like really nice food. They also do special touches for special occasions/events so would be lovely followed by a Cirque de Soleil show. Here's the TA link tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g34515-d…

hx2
Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Hello

We did the wishes fireworks cruise a few years ago, it was fantastic. Maybe something like this for a special treat. https:/….

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

All great ideas, thank you. As gorgeous as Victoria & Albert's is, I just know it isn't their kind of thing.

The wishes cruise sounds incredible - hx2 do you know how much it was? and how I would go about booking something like that?

hx2
Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Hello

I can't remember exactly but it was in the region of $200-300 total that was 2010 . Which included drinks and snacks and a fantastic view! It was great just sailing around on the boat.

https:/…. Think you can book via the WDW uk phone numbers, there are also speciality dining cruise options if your staying on site...maybe they can arrange something very special.

Have fun organising the special treat.

london
Level Contributor
175 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

You could try a helicopter ride around Orlando/Disney and arrange with the Waldorf to land in their grounds and then take them to the Waldorf's restaurant Bull & Bear which is excellent,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

This idea would have them apart from the family for a few days, but I'll throw it out there anyway. You could give them a 3 night Bahamas cruise...not that expensive since you'll be in Florida and no airfare is needed to get to departure port.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

A day at Discovery cove? you could get them a private cabana for the day with champagne or get one of the dolphins to give them a thank you message.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special treat for mother & father in law - ideas needed

Wow arriving at a restaurant in a helicopter. Now that cant be beat lol. Wonder if someone has actually done that.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 21:49