We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on dates

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on dates

Hi, could I please have some advice on whether it would make a huge difference if we went to Universal Studios on the 26th 27th of December compared to the 10th,11th of January. Obviously it will be busier Xmas week but just how much busier. Trying to plan my itinerary, thanks.

pa
Level Contributor
53,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on dates

January 10th and 11th will be much, much better

The week between Christmas and New Years is THE BUSIEST week of the Year, every year

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on dates

Agree completely with January. While would likely be busier than say, early November, it'll be MUCH better than the week before Christmas through New Year's. Many do it obviously but if you have a choice, I'd wait those extra couple weeks.

melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on dates

Thanks so much, I'll try and re arrange our dates.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
931 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on dates

The January dates will be much better crowd-wise. But that is also marathon weekend, so it might be hard getting to some of the parks in the morning because of road closures.

melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on dates

Ok, so hotels/restaurants will possibly be booked and prices high also?

melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on dates

I have just had a look at information on the marathon, it looks huge! Do people come from all over to participate? So I'm guessing that whole weekend will be busy. I think I will just revert back to December 26th/27th.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
931 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on dates

The majority of the runners are there to run and that is all. Parks are usually not that crowded, but since the races start early in the morning, around 5:30AM, roads are closed off to vehicles in lots of places, especially MK, until around 10AM or so. But you should be able to get dining reservations as long as you book in a reasonable amount of time. Just don't plan an early ADR for either of those two mornings at the MK. After 9:30, you should be fine.

And, yes, the marathon is huge. Tens of thousands of runners. Just getting the last runner across the start line takes 40-60 minutes from the time the first runner leaves. But the half is limited to 3.5 hours, the full 7 hours. Half goes from Epcot to MK back to Epcot. Full goes from Epcot to MK to AK to WWoS to DHS to Epcot.

Dec 26/27 will have much bigger crowds in the parks. So many that the parks (probably Epcot and MK) will close to any more guests at least once or twice during the day. Once enough guests leave those two parks, they reopen entry. If you are staying offsite and don't have an Annual Pass, you will have a hard time getting into the parks. If you stay in a Disney resort, you have a better chance of getting in, especially if you try to get into the park when it opens for the day.

The parks don't close for the marathon.

melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on dates

Will Universal be just as busy? Decisions!!

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on dates

Dec 26/27 will be busy absolutely everywhere. During the marathon in January, it's always possible that Universal will get a few extras trying to avoid marathon traffic, however it won't be near as busy as your other proposed dates. I would definitely stick with Universal in January, you will enjoy yourselves much more!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on dates

Minnie the OP is asking about universal/ioa, not Disney for those dates. Imb, go with the January dates, as mentioned the week between Christmas and New Year's is crazy busy. Stay on site at universal if you can also, at one of the three original hotels (Portofino, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific).