We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

2 posts
Save Topic
1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

I am traveling to Orlando for the weekend. Me and my significant other would like to spend one day in a disney park(s), one Day in universal studio park(s), and we will have one free day that we would like to spend around town.

1) What game plan would work best for tackling disney world (which park is the best, what rides are the best, what areas are the best)

2) I am interested in seeing the harry potter area at universal studios, incorporating that, what would be the best game plan for that park.

3) we are interested in going to a fancy restaurant for dinner for two of the nights. What restaurants would be recommended? (somewhere where dressing nice is allowed)

4) what is there to do around town that may be fun and entertaining?

5) what should we do in preparation to go (buying tickets in advanced, fast passes, ect.)

Thanks for your help!

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
241 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

What dates are you going? Dinner reservations at the nice parks in Disney book up almost immediately when reservations are taken, which is about 6 months before.

We did something similar about 3 1/2 years ago and googled a plan for one day in each park. Harry Potter World you would want to get there right when they open and hike as fast as you can so the lines aren't as long.

Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,494 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

1. What is "best" at WDW is completely subjective. Answer could vary depending on your interests (shows vs. thrill rides vs. the classics, etc). I would choose the Magic Kingdom simply because it is the heart of Disney.

2. The best game plan for Universal if you want to see all of HP is to get the 1 day park to park ticket. Depending on what time of year you go, it could be possible to do both parks in one day, or you might need to purchase Express Passes to do it all during a busy time of year.

3. Well the fanciest dinner I can think of is Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian. That is first class, full dress, very expensive though. Dressing nice is allowed anywhere you go. On special occasions we have gone to Disney restaurants in dress and suit while everyone else is in theme park attire. It's not a big deal to just dress how you want. I'll let others handle the restaurant suggestions as I am no foodie.

4. Entertainment that caters to tourists would be CityWalk. Lots of bars/dance clubs etc there. I like Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk - it is a dueling piano bar. There is also Cirque du Soleil La Nouba and Blue Man Group for nighttime theatrical shows. Downtown Disney has some bar type restaurants as well.

5. I would purchase tickets in advance just so as not to wait in line the day of. WDW has FastPass+ now which can be reserved 30-60 days in advance depending on whether you stay on or off site. Check out the first link in the Top Questions (upper right hand corner of screen if on computer) for more information. Additionally Disney restaurant reservations can be made up to 180 days in advance. Some popular restaurants require being booked that far in advance or they "sell out" of reservations.

You didn't mention what time of year you are going. Might influence the answers some people provide.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

I am actually going this weekend. Flying friday, disney on saturday, universal on sunday, and a free day on monday before flying back.

4. Re: 1 Day Disney World, 1 Day Universal studios, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16