We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

Hi all

With 89 days to go, I'm starting to pull together detailed plans for each day. BACKGROUND: 6 of us going 9/21-9/29 - me, wife, kids (5, 7), grandparents. With these detailed plans, I don't expect to follow them 100% -- but I want to have some framework to inform some of our decisions throughout the day. I also mapped out the Day 2 to follow a logical path around the park.

What I'd like the group to comment on are:

-- Does the path I've outlined throughout MK on Day 2 make sense?

-- Where in my plans are the timeframes not realistic? (i.e., not giving us enough time to get from one attraction to another, not allowing for enough time to queue for an attraction, etc.)

-- What are key activities, events, etc. that I have left out (this is only Day 1 at MK. We're planning a Day 2, also, so what we missed will be included on Day 2. Know that I don't have the parades included)

Day 1 (Sunday, 9/21)

11:45 a.m. Arrive at MCO

12:30 p.m. Arrive at Hilton Bonnet Creek

1 p.m. Check-in (if possible), then change and swim

1:30 p.m. Snack at pool grill

2 p.m. Swim

5 p.m. Early dinner at Hilton restaurant (kids eat free)

6 p.m. Epcot (am I right in that IllumiNATIONS is the only Sunday fireworks show? This is why we're planning Epcot first)

Day 2 (Monday, 9/22)

Rope drop Magic Kingdom 8:30 a.m.

Meet Anna and Elsa Princess Fairytale Hall 9 a.m.

Bippidi Boppity Boutique Cinderella's Castle 10:10 a.m.

Snack at Lunching Pad Tomorrowland 11:15 a.m.

Space Mountain Tomorrowland 11:30 a.m.

Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin Tomorrowland Noon

Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Tomorrowland 12:30 p.m.

Tomorrowland Speedway (Jack) Tomorrowland 1 p.m.

Ariel's Grotto and Under the Sea (Claire) Tomorrowland 1 p.m.

Lunch at Be Our Guest Fantasyland 1:30 p.m.

Carousel, Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Small World Fantasyland 2:30 p.m.

Haunted Mansion Fantasyland 3:45 p.m.

Alladin Adventureland 4:15 p.m.

Snack at Sunshine Terrace Adventureland 4:30 p.m.

Swiss Family Robinson Adventureland 4:45 p.m.

Jungle Cruise Adventureland 5:15 p.m.

Thunder Mountain Frontierland 6 p.m.

Splash Mountain Frontierland 6:45 p.m.

Dinner at Chef Mickeys Disney Contemporary Resort 8 p.m.

Main Street USA Main Street USA 9:15 p.m.

Wishes Cinderella's Castle 10 p.m.

As always, thanks so much for the great insight. This board is the best!

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Hilton Orlando Bonnet...
6,626 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hilton Orlando
Hilton Orlando
5,644 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,699 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,568 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Space Mountain
Space Mountain
349 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Haunted Mansion
Haunted Mansion
305 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Lakeland Terrace Hotel
Lakeland Terrace Hotel
403 Reviews
Lakeland, FL
Splash Mountain
Splash Mountain
319 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Chef Mickey's
Chef Mickey's
4,834 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Contemporary...
3,203 Reviews
Orlando, FL
United States
United States
North America
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

You're not allowing time in your itinerary for waiting in line. There is small chance you will get through major attractions like Space Mountain in 30 minutes unless you have a FastPass. Additionally, Anna and Elsa are wildly popular and you are going to be in a mob of people heading straight there in the morning. I would push your Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment back. It's going to take more than an hour to do them I suspect.

There are fireworks at MK on Sunday nights as well.

Mentioned in this post
Space Mountain
Space Mountain
349 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
1,547 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
23,071 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

It all seems a little tight in my experience. How are you getting to the Hilton?When we have stayed there,even with only carry on luggage,it takes us around 30-45 minutes to walk to the rental car garage minutes , get our rental car (with paperwork done in advance and being loyalty club members)and load it. Then the hotel is about 20 miles away,it takes time to unload and check in so I don't think you can get there from the plane in 45 minutes.It will be very difficult for an offsite guest to get Fast Pass+ to meet Anna and Elsa and the lines are presently about 3 hours long so no way will you get through that in 1 hour and 10 minutes. What kind of package are you booking for the Bibbidty Bobbidty Boutique?How long it takes depends on whether you are booking the Royal Castle package or something like just makeup and manicure.Be Our Guest opens for lunch at 10am;the lines can be 20-40 minutes. You have a lot of Fast Pass+ attractions selected;as an offsite guests,you can only reserve 3 in advance (30 days) and there will be lines at the others-figure at least 45 minutes minimum per ride if you encounter short lines.We have been to Disney World 140 times over the years and even on a very slow day,find ourselves hard pressed to go on more than 10 rides,especially if we have a table service lunch.I'd suggest prioritzing what you really want to do and slowing it all down

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Orlando
Hilton Orlando
5,644 Reviews
Orlando, FL
E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

Thanks for the quick responses!

anon, You're right in that I didn't budget much time for lines, the reason being is two-fold. 1) As disfan mentions, we have alot of Fastpass rides selected, so our hope is to secure FastPasses for many (although I know our times will be limited and could throw off our planning), and 2) Also as disfan mentions, I've already priortized the rides and will remove some, as needed (i.e., if Space Mountain takes longer, we'll skip things like MI Laugh Floor and Speedway/Under the Sea.

Also, BBB is booked solid, so I doubt we'd be able to move our reservation. Anna and Elsa is one of the things I'm most concerned with. Everything I read suggested that if we go there right at rope drop, we might get through in 30-40 minutes. That's why i was hoping we'd be able to do it early and before our BBB reservation.

disfan, Not too worried about the timing for arriving at Hilton, as we have allotted a bunch of time for swimming, so any delays in getting to the hotel will be made up by lessening our time in the pool, so no worries there.

We're doing the $100 package at BBB -- so makeup, hair, everything but the dress -- so how long would that take? For BOG, I read that if you queue at like 1:30 or 2 p.m. you can usually get in pretty quickly, knowing that lunch service ends at 2:30.

As mentioned earlier, the rides / attractions pretty much are prioritized: Group 1 -- Anna and Elsa (if possible), Group 2 -- Space Mountain, Group 3 -- Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain. If needed, we could cut everything after BOG right up until the jungle cruise, which opens up about 2.5 hours. We could then do those things on Day 2.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Space Mountain
Space Mountain
349 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hilton Orlando
Hilton Orlando
5,644 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Splash Mountain
Splash Mountain
319 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
23,071 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

I haven't read that you can get through Anna and Elsa in such a short period of time but anything is possible.Remember that everyone with a Fast Pass+ for that time is going to be ahead of you ;I would estimate if you can get there at park opening,figure 90 minutes if you run really fast to the line.Bibbidty Bobbidty Boutique will be about 45 minutes.We got into BOG in under 20 minutes around 1:30 but it took us about an hour to eat. Its a wonderful place to enjoy all the effects-if you're just going there for a counter service lunch,you may as well skip it.Also think about how tired a 5 and 7 years old are going to be after 12 hours in the parks. We always take a midday break back at the hotel and our kids are a lot older. Its going to be very hot and humid when you go and that will slow you down too.Maybe watch Wishes from outside the park at one of the monorail hotels-it can take an hour to get out of the MK after Wishes and we are happy with the view from a beach..Is it really worth it to spend a day's ticket just to see Illuminations?There's some terrific attractions at Epcot that you will be missing. Disney is the kind of place where less is more sometimes.

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,699 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Indiana
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

Finally, someone else that plans like me!

In reality, your plan isn't going to stay on schedule. Lines for rides are going to be longer than you think and getting from one place to another will take longer than you expect. With young kids, you are going to end up stopping to see characters, go into shops and use bathrooms.

I also have serious douobts about the stamina of the young ones. September is still hot and thats a lot of walking and an early morning/late night. they are going to be pretty grumpy by about 2pm.

It's up to you, but I like to head to the pool for 2-3 hours in the afternoon if we are planning on being at the park for the fireworks. That way everyone is refreshed and ready to go.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,693 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

Where's the bathroom schedule???? lol lol

Way too much schedule for me, very tight as mentioned. I doubt you'll get all that done (and I'm not trying to be fresh). You have to be flexible with kids. Your Chef Mickey is 8:00, our last time there we waited at least 20 minutes to be seated (they're not really reservations, they just kind of hold your place in line, so you may or may not be seated on time). So you may not get back into MK. Worse comes to worse you can watch the fireworks from the 4th floor (where Chef Mickey is located) observation deck at the Contemporary.

Mentioned in this post
Chef Mickey's
Chef Mickey's
4,834 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Boston
Level Contributor
112 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

In my experience, it is better to have a list of things you'd like to get done in a day rather than schedule them. Have a list of "definitely have to do" and "great if we have time" attractions. Anything can happen. Mechanical failure, rain, stopping to see a character you didn't expect, etc. Additionally, ride wait times will fluctuate greatly throughout the day (be sure to download the MDE app to monitor them!) so it could be much faster or much, much longer than you anticipate.

Also, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot all have End of the Night fireworks shows every night. I believe that the Wishes show at Magic Kingdom is the latest, but double check for September.

Let me know if I can be any more help!

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,568 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,699 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but -------------- this sounds more like military boot camp, than a vacation. If it were me, I would just make a list of highlights you want to do in each park. Then go with the flow and see how crowds, lines, and how every one is doing dictate what is done every day.

Allow some time for just people watching, stopping for a cool drink, taking a picture, and just having some fun

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but -------------- this sounds more like military boot camp, than a vacation. If it were me, I would just make a list of highlights you want to do in each park. Then go with the flow and see how crowds, lines, and how every one is doing dictate what is done every day.

Allow some time for just people watching, stopping for a cool drink, taking a picture, and just having some fun

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NEED ADVICE - Detailed itinerary for Days 1 and 2

Hahaha, I plan exactly like you do! With time estimations also. I wrote a tr, and you do have to flexible, and you're kids have more stamina than people give them credit for. My daughter rode on our sit and stand stroller a bit to give her legs a break. We drank plenty of water.

I can tell you looking at your rimes, it won't work because the wait times aren't factored in. But if you're willing to push some to the next day, then just go and se what you guys can accomplish.