We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Report Days 1 -14

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
304 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
TR Report Days 1 -14

Just waiting for transport back to Sanford having stayed in very hot and humid weather for the last 14 days. Hotel next to Universal (ten minute walk) was very good as was Millers Ale House next door with cheap beer and food.

Universal/IOA - not so busy first week but we definately needed fast passes the end of the second week. Free concerts during our first week and the girls saw FUN and also witnessed the offical press launch of the new Harry Potter bit (opening 8th July). They got some autographs but the best bit of their holiday was getting Tim Burton's autograph the following day as he and Helena Bonham Carter and their children went around universal. Thank you Tim!

Disney Parks - didn't like Magic Kingdown (but I didn't in Paris either) - just far too busy. Epcot and Disney Studios good but Animal Kingdom the best.

Kennedy Space Centre - excellent trip with transport and a good early morning Air Boat ride and saw lots of aligators.

Discovery Cove - a lovely relaxing day just me and my husband whilst teenage girls did Harry Potter yet again!!

Food - we budgeted a $190 dollars a day between four of us (adults) with two drinking beer. This was about right. We mainly ate at the parks during the day and a variety of places at night including Mythonos (at Islands of Adventure), Millers Ale House and TGI Fridays (near the hotel) and Hard Rock Cafe.

No car - we walked to the Universal parks and took a taxi from airport to hotel and a taxi each of five days to the Disney Parks (about $90 return including tips). We also got a taxi to Discovery Cove and the transport pick up for Kennedy as well as a couple of taxis to and from shopping trips. We worked out that this was cheaper than car hire, CDW, fuel, fees to park at the hotel and feed to park at the parks. The bonus of a taxi was that the driver knew where he was going and we didn't have to walk miles across the car parks looking for a car in 95 degrees! So if you don't want to drive it is possible and no more expensive - you just need to plan your days.

Water parks - we only did Typhoon Lagoon and please be careful. The main pool has a massive wave (2-3 metres high) which knocks you off your feet even in very shallow water. My eldest ended up with someone crashing into her who then stood on her foot as it was turned in - she has a really nasty (looks infected now) graze and is struggling to wait bare!! Looks like an A & E trip on our way home as she refused to see someone over here. There were lots of people heading to the first aid station with grazes so be careful.

Shows - we did Blue Man Group which is a really fun and uplifting night out and also Cirque Du Soleil which was brilliant.

All in all a fantastic two weeks - but looking forward to returning to Scotland to cooler weather - really was very hot all the time.

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Well you had a great holiday and lucky you with Tim Burton's autograph You packed a lot in you can rest when your home hope your daughters foot is ok Have a safe flight home to Scotland

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
919 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

You must have been at Universal the week Jimmy Fallon was taping the tonight show. If you go up on utube you should be able to see the concerts....you can relive your experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Thanks for your trip report :) just curious about the taxi situation, last time we were there it cost us about 90$ per day for taxis to and from disney, plus more taxis to mall etc the car were looking to hire this year is only costing around $250 and I hear you don't spend much on gas, wondering if we should go ahead with our car hire

Level Contributor
240 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Wr spent 20 $ on gas and car hire was 250$ for 10 days in a mid suv from thrifty. I'd rent a car over getting taxis any day!

Scotland
Level Contributor
304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Car hire for two weeks was coming in at £200 plus CDW which was around another £100. Parks are charging between $15-20 dollars per day to park and our hotel was charging nearly £20 dollars a day to park so by the time I factored all that in it was just as cheap to get taxis. I suppose it depends how often you are wanting to go out and about. A car gives you more freedom to hop from park to park - we tended to go to one park for a whole day and had our two weeks completely planned out with no room for flexibility!! Suited us but a car may suit others.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Glad you had a nice holiday! You'll be wishing you were back in the heat soon enough, it's cold and wet here today 😞

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,278 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Enjoyed your Disney and travel review glad you had a great time we go in 40 days.

Oregon
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Which airboat tour did you go on?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

Thanks for the report, sounded busy and fun. Hope your daughter is okay, I don't like that wave pool at all, it really is kind of dangerous.

10. Re: TR Report Days 1 -14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17