We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

Flew in to Orlando from Pit on Friday, June 20th in the evening on Southwest.

Flight had some turbulence and we had to fly around a storm before landing in Florida. Still arrived on time or close to it.

This is about my 5th time renting through Dollar and I have their loyalty card (you can sign up for free to get this). I walked right out to the garage where there has never been a line, bypassing the lines inside. They ask for my last name, give me my paperwork to look over and sign, and give me my keys and tell me where my car is located as they have selected my car for me the last few times, but it always seems to be the nicest one they have at that time. They told me once that if I ever don't like the car that has been selected for me and I see a different one in the row of my class that I would rather have then I can trade. This time we were given a Nissan Altima with 18,000 miles, very clean. No hassles!

We checked into Cabana Bay just for one night to check it out and I had originally booked a suite in the tower section thinking that is where the pool with the water slide was going to be, but it was in the courtyard section. The lady at the front desk switched us to the courtyard section and put us on the first floor. It was very convenient, right around the corner from the walkway to the pool. Any room really is not too far from either pool. Since we were only staying one night we chose to save a little and not get a pool room view. The suite was really nice. I loved the bathroom set up with a tub and one sink together where you could shut the door, then a toilet separate where you could shut the door, and then a double sink in the open where two people could get ready there at the same time. I slept on the roll out couch and even though it was stiff, it was comfortable. No bar in the middle of your back and no sagging. The best way I can describe the bed is like a very stiff baby crib mattress only bigger. The boys loved the pools. One with the slide and the other one you can hear music being played under the water and they said it was way louder and more clear than the Hard Rock pool. They had a really nice lazy river and they have a place where you can purchase different kinds of tubes and they blow them up for you, but the boys didn't need one. We enjoyed our drinks poolside and our lunch from the food court inside by the lobby. They had 4 big screens with two playing the soccer games and two playing old time cartoons. I ordered the salmon with broccoli and substituted the rice for mashed potatoes for just under $12 and it was the best salmon meal I had that week. If I had any complaints at all it would be that the air conditioning was not getting as cool as I would have liked it and the lazy river bottom was rough. I would stay again if my kids would want to. Their favorite is the Portofino and that is where we stayed next after checking out. By the way, I saved around $70 for the night by having the Annual Pass and booking a room under their discount.

I forgot about my garden grocer order until after we got to our room so my hubby drove around to get our order while I got the kids ready for the pool. They made him check that he had everything that we ordered before taking it which the other resorts never did that before so not sure if that is the hotels policy or garden grocers now? Everything was there and in good condition. I had ordered things that did not need refrigerated since we were mostly staying at the Portofino and would not have a fridge so I bought a Styrofoam cooler for around $8 from them and water, Gatorade, hubby's beer, granola bars, breakfast muffins, bananas, spray sunblock (since we took carry ons only I could not pack it), etc.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 23:45
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

Forgot to mention that we stayed in the Starlight building. The Starlight, Thunderbird, and Castaway are all in the courtyard where the pool with the slide is and then the Continental and the American is in the Tower section where the pool with the music that plays under water and the lazy river and it just opened the week we were there.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,674 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

Sounds good lovesgetaways, I know you can pool hop with the three Loew's hotels, is Cabana Bay included in the pool hopping do you know? Would like to check it out on our Sept. trip :)

Edited: 02 July 2014, 00:19
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

yes, it is included in the pool hopping.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,674 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

thanks, that's great :)

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

:)

That is what I was told at check in anyways.

And when I asked about laundry at the Portofino they also said that I could go over to Cabana Bay to do my laundry.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 06:04
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

Thanks for sharing. We are staying at Portofino in 19 days. Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR's

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

You will love the Portofino! Have a great trip!

8. Re: TR: Day 1 - Dollar, Cabana Bay, Garden Grocer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16