We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Tuesday, June 24th. Another hot one!!

I stayed back at the room while the rest of them hit the parks. I was starting to get a heat rash and I do not do well in the heat and humidity anyways and just wanted a break. I can't do a lot of the simulated rides anyways due to motion sickness. I have trouble with my inner ears so even taking meds doesn't always keep me feeling well. I had to get some laundry done anyways and since the Portofino does not have washers and dryers for use I washed out some of our clothes and then took them down to the quiet pool at the Portofino and laid them out to dry. (You might be a red neck if you hand wash and sun dry your clothes at the Portofino) Ha! ha! The quiet pool was just what I needed after being around 4 kids for four days and another couple who seemed to find a complaint in just about everything. I took the complementary paper down with me and my kindle. I ordered a plate of fresh fruit, yogurt, and banana bread for my lunch. Mmmm! They have really good fruit. It was a lot though, wish my hubby was there to split it with me. The year before I saw someone order that platter along with the cheese at the Royal Pacific when we stayed there for one night and it looked so good. There was no way I could have ate the cheese along with it. If we ever get the chance to go back I would like to order that again along with the cheese and split it with the family. There might have been 10-30 people there that whole day and it was soooo quiet!! Most of the people were renting cabanas so there were only a few of us in the lawn chairs around the pool. It would be a nice place to take your coffee and newspaper in the morning. Hubby and kids said they had a good time, but didn't get to see everything they wanted by the time our friends were ready to leave around 3, but we had one more day on our pass so I told him to get out of the heat and we would go back another day. Our friends did not have another day so it was nice that we would have a day for just the four of us and we had a park to park ticket so they would be able to ride their favorites again also. They did all of the simulated rides today and watched the beetlejuice show and played on the playgrounds. They said it was so hot again today, but it was nice to get in the a.c. off and on. Not much of a wait with the express passes. They all rode the bikes to and from the parks today instead of the boats. The crowd calendar from undercover tourist said a green day for Universal, but hubby said it was a little busier than IOA on Sunday when it was a green day. IOA was mentioned as a yellow day though when both parks were a green on Sunday. Sal's Deli pizza and subs again. No wait in line, same as the time before.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Sorry to hear about your heat rash yes it can get quite hot these summer months we go in August ouch.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Have you gone in the Hillside pool? That's the quiet pool, but shhhh don't tell anyone about it...lol

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

No, I forgot about that one! I will have to check it out next time.

Are there enough loungers for my laundry? ha! ha!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

lol, sometimes we were the only ones there, we def could have hung laundry all over :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Good to know about washers & dryers. We will have to try Sal's while we are there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Fresh fruit, yoghurt & banana bread sounds yummy. Sounds like a nice relaxing day for you. I'm not that good with the simulator rides either! :0)

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

Definitely try Sal's pizza! And I would send someone to get pizza and subs from Sal's before ordering pizza poolside. It is different pizza and not as good. It's ok though, but Sal's is better.

Kookaburrakid, that day spoiled me! :)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

I have lived in Florida all my life and this is the first year I have had a significant amount of heat rash. No matter what I do I can't get it to go away so I am really looking forward to things cooling down a bit in September.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

seebeech, have your allergies been acting up or more than usual? I have seasonal allergies here in Pennsylvania and always look forward to going to Florida to get a break from them, but on this trip my allergies got worse!

It is usually just my oldest son who gets the heat rash, not all of us like we did this time.

10. Re: TR: Day 5 - Universal, quiet pool at the Portofino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16