We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando or Tampa Airport

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando or Tampa Airport

Hi

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Florida next August and plan to stay in a villa in the south of Orlando. Looking at the direct flights from London, we have a choice of flying to Tampa or Orlando airport - the prices are much the same. I have also checked the driving time to where we will be staying and it is much the same (Tampa about 15 mins longer). Is there any advantages/disadvantages flying to either airport? - I have heard that the immigration hall at Orlando can be a nightmare (queues of 4 hours long?).

Any advice anyone can give will be much appreciated

Many thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

Direct or non-stop? I would always choose non-stop.

" I have heard that the immigration hall at Orlando can be a nightmare (queues of 4 hours long?)."

I doubt that very much. It may have happened on rare occasions, but certainly is not the norm.

Norwich
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

Hi

We will fly non-stop - most probably BA

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

I can't compare the immigration experiences, but MCO would be the most convenient in terms of driving distance even if your villa is as far south as somewhere off 27. Tampa would probably be about twice as far in distance so it would have to be a much better price and or nonstop versus not for me to be willing to travel further. The same applies for Sanford versus Orlando/MCO. If it's "much the same" then MCO would be more convenient for the attractions area.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

I agree. MCO is probably more convenient.

Norwich
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

Thanks for the replies.

Just waiting for the flights to be released for Aug 2015 then i will book them up plus the Villa.

Kind Regards

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

I would definitely fly into MCO. We have waited an hour for immigration there but never 4 hrs. You could be getting mixed up with Miami Airport where queues can be horrendous? Tampa is quite a long drive from Orlando.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,388 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

Tampa Airport is about 1h45m from Disney, if you don't hit traffic.

Where is your villa located that it's that far from the airport? Doesn't sound convenient at all!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

As much as we in Tampa Bay love our airport, I can't imagine that it will be any quicker to land there. We are having a lot of road construction in downtown Tampa and traffic can really be a nightmare. Not that it's good anywhere here, but just saying

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

We're flying with BA to a Tampa soon, as we will stay in Clearwater and on the west coast. If staying near a Orlando I'd fly there, unless flight costs dictated otherwise.

Rechecking luggage for the transfer in MCO could be slow, don't know if it still is. If you can I would take luggage with me from the customs area and onto the monorail for the transfer to the main terminal

Check those driving times again.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 22:19
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando or Tampa Airport

I would not recheck my bags, once I got them, much quicker.

From plane landing to me driving out of the airport never more than 90 mins. Always happy at MCO.