We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What beach to choose in Orlando?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What beach to choose in Orlando?

Hi, we are planning a trip to Orlando in October. we want to stay on the beach if possible but be near enough to disney and universal studios that we can make a day trip or two.

can anyone recommend beach resort or beach town with lots of activites ie, shops, restaurants, craft shops etc

thank you in advance :-)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,470 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

No beaches in orlando it's inland

You need to head to the gulf coast or the east coast for the beach

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Yes i am aware its linland and have looked at staying in gulf but just wondered where people would recommend? thanks

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,470 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Oh sorry it's just your title is "beaches in Orlando"

In that case I would recommend Clearwater it's got everything you would want

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Many many thanks

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,470 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

If you go to Clearwater make sure to go to Frenchies for lunch it's across the road from the beach and their grouper sandwiches are yummy

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Depends on what you want.......the atlantic coast (Cocoa etc) has wild waves and if you have older kids they will love trying to surf or just playing in the waves (as my kids did)

Or if you like white sand, clear, warm sea like a millpond and you just want to chill, the gulf side (Clearwater is the nearest to Orlando) is recommended, but there are many other seaside towns equally as good all around the same area on the gulf with lots to offer.

The choice is yours.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

The only place you are really going to want to make a day trip from the beach is Cocoa Beach as it is only an hour away. Universal to Clearwater is closer to 2 hours and involves driving straight through Downtown Tampa. I don't know how much you are going to like driving two hours after a day at a theme park. I also don't know how much you are going to like driving through Tampa during the morning rush hour.

accrington
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Clearwater is always packed. no parking. drive a few miles down the coast and you will find nice places like indian rocks, indian shores, redington, and treasure island. we have been going for the last 18yrs . next april its tarpon springs and palm harbour. good fishing ,horse racing, dog racing. wagon wheel flea market ,its huge. and lots of shoping malls. and the beaches are pure white sands.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

Clearwater is a nice day trip from Orlando but Orlando is not a nice day trip from Clearwater. I agree with PPs that you should look at Cocoa Beach since the traffic and drive is much more manageable for a day trip. I usually recommend New Smyrna but then you would be stuck driving in I-4 traffic on your way into the parks which is horrendously stressful.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What beach to choose in Orlando?

How about splitting your stay? If you fly into Orlando, spend a few nights there so you can see the theme parks and then head to the beach of your choosing for the remainder of your vacation. I agree with what others have said about commuting back and forth. For touring theme parks, it's a good idea to arrive at opening/rope drop before the rest of the mob arrives. You'd either miss prime touring time or have to get up really early in the morning to do the commute.

Having been to both Atlantic and Gulf coast beaches numerous times, I much prefer the calmer wave action on the Gulf side.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 16:09