We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

Hi,

We are a family of four - 2 x adults and 2 x 8 year old's and are thinking of Orlando with Disney and all that for next August 2015 for 2 weeks. We have never been before so sorry for the silly questions.

Where is the best place to book?

Any places cheaper than others?

Better to do all as a package or book separately?

Are Thomson or Thomas cook any good for these kind of holidays or should we be looking elsewhere?

Not massively keen on driving out there so what options are available to us?

2 week holiday - best places to visit in the 2 weeks for attractions and shopping?

What if we wanted to do 7 days of attractions or shopping and then go somewhere for beach\hotel chill out a bit? Or we extended the holiday up to 3 weeks and had a week to relax somewhere?

There seems to be so many deals and offers - what are the better ones to look for and use?

Anything else that is useful?

When is the best time to book for a holiday in 12 months time? is it cheaper now or in January etc?

I'm sure I have more questions but hopefully this is a good starter. If there are any good online guides to decide what to do etc and help please let me know.

Many Thanks.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

" so sorry for the silly questions."

Not silly at all. I recommend some serious research first. Buy a copy of Brit Guide to Orlando and read it thoroughly. You may even want to do the same with a this website:

Disney Holiday Planner

http://www.floridathoughts.co.uk/

Use the "Top questions about Orlando" to full advantage. Ditto with the search function above as many, many questions get asked over and over.

The best source of air travel information is the Air Travel forum tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav… and the best source of cruise information is Cruise Critic.

We LOVE posters who do a bit of research and then post with a few thoughts that we might comment on.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 13:32
pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

Agree, no silly questions

My first thought knowing you aren't keen on driving, which many of us aren't, is to say, you don't need to drive to have a wonderful holiday, no worries

My second thought and suggestion is to have a look at the Disney Resorts Free Dining offer for UK residents, it is a Package deal and quite a good one. The offer does expire today, it might be released again later in the year but no guarantee …disneyinternational.com/Special-Offers.asp…

No need for a car, Disney Provides transport to all the Disney Parks as well as to and from the Airport ( MCO) It is easy enough to get to other Parks with ticket and transport options, more on that later. If you want to do a bit of shopping, there is Public Bus transport and Taxis are always available as well

A 3 week holiday would be lovely, a bit of time at the beach would be great, especially in August

Do some research, ask as many questions as you want or need

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

Definitely get the Brits Guide to Orlando as a start and go from there. It is an excellent book and will give you masses of information.

Sussex
Level Contributor
953 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

We go next August too :) date wise I recommend pushing it as far into August as possible. We will land September 6th and the kids go back to school ad us back to work the very next day. Reason being the crowd levels really drop towards the end of Aug which makes for a much more enjoyable holiday!

We never book package deals. We buy our flights to MCO in the Christmas sales with BA or virgin. We like to stay at a disney resort and book that and the tickets etc direct with them. However.. There may be occassions were a package is cheaper so it really is a case of shopping around. Cheapest packages we have ever got our through a company called oceans Florida.

With 8 year olds I think disney world will be your main focus theme park wise. That in mind I would recommend staying at a disney resort- who offer free bus trnaportation to all parks (4 theme parks, 2 water parks and downtown disney). Buses go every 20 mins or and also run between the parks so you can go to say magic kingdom in the morning then straight from there to a water park if it gets too hot!

Twin centre holidays are great although I would probably recommend atleast 10 days to really cover disney and any other theme parks of interest and a 4 day trip to the beach? You could even look at a Bahamas or Caribbean cruise from port Canaveral.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

I would also look at the website Orlando Informer, although more Universal based there is other stuff on there.

If you don't want to drive then you need to look at hotels or resorts that offer free shuttle transfers.

If you fly Thomson then I believe they fly into Sanford which is north of Orlando and the parks and further to travel - BA and virgin use the international airport which is a lot closer (check Google maps).

We have always found it cheaper to buy a package deal rather than book it all separately but try the different companies web sites and compare prices.

Then read TA and post questions!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

WORB 68,

Click on your private messages above

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

I would go to the beech if possible, the Gulf Coast is great.

8. Re: Orlando for next summer but dont know where to start...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:15