We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Universal worth it right now?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Is Universal worth it right now?

We are going down to FL next week and was planning on doing Epcot and Universal to see the new Harry Potter areas, but I've been reading some of the headlines and the lines are horrible....at least for opening day. Has anyone been there since, are the lines for things other than escape from gringots lower or is the increased crowds making the whole park unbearable?

Thanks,

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

I am in the UK at the moment and have been following wait times and crowds on twitter. I would say yes it is worth it some of the other non HP rides I guess will be quieter and the wait times later in the day seem to be less than at rope drop.

If you wanted to look at the new HP area and it was too busy they are issuing return time tickets for later in the day.

It would be a shame to miss it if you are in the area.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Here at the moment we arrived at app 10 am and there was a 60 min wait ,the crowds are bad but it can be done

Kingsclere...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

We were there yesterday and it wasn't that busy in the rest of the parks , we did most rides except the new Harry Potter and all the queues were fine, as you would expect in July. We are going back on Monday to try and do the new HP.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Thanks for the replies, I think we might chance it and go ahead and go...keep our fingers crossed. As long as we get into diagon alley and maybe wand shop, I'm not sure we care if we ride the ride or not.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Hi

I was at universal yesterday and wait time for the new ride were between 4-5 hours. That was better than on opening day when they were at 7+ hours. The staff seem to think these times will be around for a while yet! I would have liked to have had a go but not prepared to wait that long for a ride!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Universal is def worth going to our fav park. It is busy but we went 4 times and the crowds were bearable in both parks. Wait times ranged from 10-60 mins. Transformer ride seemed to always be the longest well except the new HP! But worth the queuing in my opinion. Both parks have plenty of rides and if you like getting wet do the rides and when they say you will get wet be warned you will. All the water rides have full body heat driers that you can use for $5 that's how wet you will get that you will willing pay to get dry!, enjoy Universal

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Universal is probably worth going to, but I'd never wait an hour for a ride, let alone 4 or 5 hours.

m p
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

Just rode the escape from gringots ride. Regular line was 3 hours. I was in single rider line for about 1 and a half hours. The ride keeps breaking down and it takes about 15 minutes to half hour to fix. The ride is fun but not worth more than an hour wait. I would go to Epcot and come back to universal in about a year when the kinks are worked out. Unless you are a huge Harry potter fan. At Epcot don't miss "soaring", "test track" and my favorite "mission space". Have fun.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

I just spoke with a Universal employee 2 days ago (friend of mine), that works in the new Harry Potter area. She said the wait times have been several hours long as some mention. Likely the only way to tackle this reasonably is to be at the park at opening if you don't have the Universal "fp" offering.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Universal worth it right now?

The Harry Potter areas are jam packed but we've found that the rest of the park attractions are actually quite nice since they seem less crowded than usual, especially in the evenings when guests leave for dinner.