We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done something stupid.....

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Done something stupid.....

I've done something stupid - i booked thanksgiving weekend without realising!

Unfortunately BA wants a couple of hundred quid to change the dates, so we are stuck with them....Nov 24th - Dec 4th

What I want to know is this - What should I do on thanksgiving day, Black friday and the weekend?

I think we should be ok up til then and after the weekend, however I have been told to avoid the parks as they are busy....and obviously avoid shopping on friday, however i have no idea what to do! We hate spending time at the hotel, as its basic.....with not much to do. We are on Idrive - so close to everything....

So far i have -

Thanksgiving - Universal Studios/City Walk

Black Friday - Idrive (golf, food and festival bay if its been re-done)

Saturday - Islands of Adventure

Sunday - Outlet shopping

This a plan? Im thinking maybe switch the sat and sun?

How about shopping on thanksgiving day? - Will it be busy/will the shops be open?

We usually go at the very end of october or beginning of dec - so used to the crowds being very low and shopping being cheap!

HELP!!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done something stupid.....

Gatorland

Harry P Leu Gardens

day trip to Daytona Beach

day trip to Kennedy Space Center

visitorlando.com/things-to-do/…

visitorlando.com/things-to-do/…

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,741 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done something stupid.....

Black Friday? Unless you excel at contact sports or hand-to-hand combat, forget about it. Many of the real bargains can be found days before and/or online. It's not worth the hassle IMO. Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_adgG8Ba2Q

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Done something stupid.....

The parks leading up to thanksgiving are jam packed. Last year soaring was 120mins+ and nearly every other disney ride was 60m+ atleast, many were more. Dont know what there like the week after though, should be fine. I loved black friday, wwent out at 6am nice and quite, got a load of bargains and went home and chalaxed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done something stupid.....

Ouch, not that positive unfortunately...

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Done something stupid.....

Could be worse ;) More and more stores in the US are opening on Thanksgiving. I'd do my shopping then as the stores will look like bombed out cities (figuratively) if you wait until Sunday. The 2nd & 3rd are your obvious best days for Disney, but I'd still plan a day at another park on a day before Thanksgiving. Plan your FPs well and you could still have a great day. Because the crowds on the 2nd & 3rd should be pretty low, it may be worth it get Park Hoppers.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Done something stupid.....

Many of the stores are starting to make Black Friday a several day event. Some of the stores starting offering deals on Wedenesday evening and that end on Sunday night. The stores are often open nearly 24 hours a day near us during this time and I would imagine it would be the same in Orlando.

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Done something stupid.....

Personally, while I really don't bother with shopping on Black Friday, I enjoy crowd watching. If you're up for it, I go to a mall/store, park in the sticks, grab a cup of coffee quick and walk around and watch the chaos. It sounds lame, but you would be surprised how truly laid back it is when you don't have the stress of standing in line. Watching the madness turns into a sort of entertainment for me. Then we go back home and do all our shopping online in 30 minutes.

As others have said, places start opening up Thanksgiving day/night, but gets just as busy anymore. All in all, don't let it worry you too much and enjoy regardless!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Done something stupid.....

Ouch. We're flying out on Thanksgiving for our trip to Europe to avoid the craziness associated with that weekend.

All you can do is make the best of it. The good thing is that although schools are usually out some or all of the week of Thanksgiving, the kids are definitely back in school the week after Thanksgiving. Plus, you will get to watch some excellent Thanksgiving Day television to include the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in the morning and American football games the rest of the afternoon and evening. It might be worth booking a Thanksgiving dinner at a local hotel or restaurant.

I will give you a good tip we learned last year with our Universal Studios annual passes, crowds in the parks are heaviest in the morning on Thanksgiving and tend to clear out towards the afternoon and evening as people go home to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with their families. So I would recommend hanging out on I-Drive or sleeping in that day and hitting the parks after lunch on Thanksgiving. (I hypothesize that it might be the opposite on Black Friday since most shoppers will go out in the morning and be done by lunch but I haven't yet tested this theory.)

If you're going to shop during your trip go during the day on a weekday the week after Thanksgiving. Black Friday signals the start of Christmas shopping in the US so malls and outlets will be crazy on the weekends and during the evening.

Level Contributor
120 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Done something stupid.....

I wouldn't worry and let this put a down on your holiday. We were there about 4 years ago for Thanksgiving and did not realise when we booked. We went shopping on the day in the late morning and enjoyed the experience. If you are eating out gey some reservations done. Get to park early and back agaon late after a siesta.

We liked the holiday feel and there is a touch of Christmas around that time.

Enjoy thr experience

Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Done something stupid.....

I keep worrying about this too! We fly out on the 6th, our last park day is the 22nd, does anyone know how long the waits will be?

I need someone to put my mind at rest!