We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight home......Sleep tips!!

It always stresses me that after a long flight home we have a good 3 hour journey from Gatwick to Lowestoft and as I don't drive it is down to my partner to do the driving.

Does anyone have any good tips to help get the best sleep on the flight back from Florida.

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Meg, since this is an air travel question, why don't you post this on the Air Travel forum?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,488 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

No tips I'm afraid as we never manage to sleep on planes. Someone on here has a good idea in that they book a day room in a hotel near Gatwick and get some sleep before they attempt the drive home but I can't remember who and what hotel! Not a lot of use but maybe you could look at that option as it can't be very safe to do such a long drive after the flight if you are tired. We only have an hours drive and struggle with that!

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Maybe.... I am posting on this forum as I will be visiting Orlando!!!

If I was going to say Mexico.... I would have asked the question on the Mexico Forum

Kind regards

Meg x x x

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Drink

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Drink always works for me!!!!!!

However May not be so good for the driver..... I was hoping there maybe a pill or potion you could buy to help

Meg x x x

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Melatonin (a vitamin supplement) and Diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl or generic) with a glass of scotch. Both are available in any grocery store, Walmart, Target, or pharmacy (CVS or Walgreens.) A small package of generic Benadryl will set you back a buck or two and a bottle of Melatonin usually runs between $4 and 8. All three will be out of your system within 6-8 hours tops. However, it's always a good idea to do a test run a few days or weeks before your flight to see if you have any bad reactions to the meds or combo.

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Thanks Seebeech.... That sounds just what I'm looking for x x x

Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

Lowestoft!! Small world I'm gorleston :-)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,137 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

I agree with Traveller book a hotel for a sleep before you drive

In March neither of us slept on the flight I find it impossible, we then had to drive from Manchester to the Borders a 4 hour drive even though we shared the driving it was horrible (and stupid) my husband almost fell asleep at the wheel

We are going again in November but for the first time ever we have decided to fly EDI -LGW - MCO as it's only a 45 min drive from Edinburgh to home

It's dangerous to drive when you are so tired - it scared the s**t out of me although we have done it many times before and have stopped at the services for a short nap - never again

Anyway to answer your question meg I have never found anything that helps me sleep on a flight, I find it too noisy there's always someone talking or babies crying etc plus it's downright uncomfortable

Fly upper class that might do it lol

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight home......Sleep tips!!

A few stiff drinks or I've heard cocodomals really help sleep.