We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World advice for an Aussie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney World advice for an Aussie

Hi all,

I’m an Aussie who will be staying in LA for a month before I travel down to Orlando on November 10th. I’ve been to Disneyland Anaheim quite a few times but this is my first time down to Disney World, so excited. My friends and I will be staying at Art of Animation for a few nights and then moving to Port Orleans Riverside for a few nights before moving onto Universal.

I have a bunch of questions so I will try to break it down in to points. It's regarding extra persons, moving from hotel to hotel within Disney property, ticket purchasing for myself and a friend, ticket purchasing from Australia and whether or not I should get the magic band sent to me in LA before I fly down to Orlando.

1. I will be staying in LA at a residence for a month before I go to Disney World, is it worth me ordering my Magic Band earlier and sent to that address or should I just wait until I check in? Should my friends (they both live in the US), also order their magic bands earlier?

2. I will be buying myself my ticket (4 day park hopper) and then separately, purchasing my friend her ticket (2/3 day park hopper). We both have Disney.com accounts. Will I have trouble purchasing these tickets for separate names and also any problems purchasing these with an Australian based Credit Card and a non US address? Have any other Aussies used Undercover tourist to buy tickets from and if so, have they had trouble purchasing from outside the US with a non US address? I read they send out paper tickets. Also, should I stay logged into my account and purchase both and then give the ID number to her and get her to link hers through her account?

3. I’ll be moving from Art of Animation to Port Orleans Riverside. Is this going to be a problem moving between the resorts ie. catching the free internal transport (any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated), but also luggage storage Art of Animation after check out and before check in so I can enjoy a park in the morning and then checking in later on in the day? I’ve read that Disney will actually transfer your luggage for you if you’re moving between resorts?

4. As long as Disney are aware that I have extra people staying in my room with me my friends shouldn’t have any problems with checking in to my room when they arrive a few days later should they? Even though the room is under my name?

5. Can anyone give any advice as to which buildings are the ‘best’ to stay in in Art of Animation and Port Orleans re: food court and bus/boat station access? Should I call up the week before and see if these rooms/buildings are available and check my reservations?

6. State of Downtown Disney - because we will be staying at PO Riverside is Downtown Disney worth a visit? I plan for us to have a 'day off' from the parks on the Saturday to chill out and enjoy the resort but will give this area a miss if it's not worth a look at the moment as I know it's a construction site at the moment.

7. As for airport transfers, how do you book Magic Express? I’m guessing I just login and book online through my Disney account or should I call? Also, we will be staying at Cabana Bay has anyone used the airport transfer from there? I also heard somewhere that if you stay at a Universal resort you get 'free' front of line passes?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions but thanks all and ANY help would be appreciated!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Hi, Cabana bay hotel does not give express passes. Only the 3 original hotels (portofino, royal pacific and hard rock). I would switch to one of those. We when stay at Universal hotels we just take a cab back to the airport. I booked magic express over the phone with disney :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Here is a great trip report from a fellow Aussie.

https:/…home

Read it through and a lot of your questions will be answered.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Thanks for the Universal advice, will do!

Also, I've read through the very detailed blog, it was interesting and yes a few things were answered but still waiting for any advice/feedback on the other points. Thanks again

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
294 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Hi

I am headed over from AUS and purchased my tickets for Universal from Attraction Tickets Direct. They had great prices and will send tickets to Australia. They just charge a bit extra for the postage but was still a great deal.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

I would order the Magic Bands ahead of time to be delivered to your US address. From the time of ordering they arrived in under 2 weeks. You can pick your color that way, otherwise you get gray. If you don't care about color, don't worry about it and pick it up when you check in.

Are all of you staying in one room? If so, all names are provided to Disney when you make your reservation. One person can customize all the magic bands and have them sent to the same address. I don't know if you are in 1 room that you can individually order the bands to be sent to different addresses.

You go to My Disney Experience to link your room reservation, dining and tickets. From there you can make fast pass selections. You can link everyone to one account which will make getting the same fast passes much easier.

For moving resorts, call bell services and tell them you need your luggage transferred to another resort. They will send someone to the room to pick up your bags (tipping is customary for this) and tag them for the transfer to the next resort. Now I had already checked in to the next resort on my computer and when I arrived at my next resort, my bags were already in my new room. In theory, if you check in ahead of time, you can get a text or email when your room is ready. I never got the text so called and was able to get the new room number. I bypassed the check in desk all together and walked straight to my room and my Magic Band (which I had been using at the previous resort) worked on the new room. After midnight it stopped working to open the room door but it was a quick fix the next day, at all times it worked for FP, tickets, room charges.

I wish I had checked in online for my first hotel. I did not wait long but it does speed things up. You do that on MDE. I did see some rather long lines at check in on occasion.

Over 2 adults in a room may have an extra charge. All the Magic Bands should work to open the room assuming you have set it all up ahead of time and your friends have their Magic Bands.

I don't know what DTD will be like when you visit, but it may be best to skip it. It did not seem that great when I was there and lots of construction. Maybe do something different like Gatorland.

You book Magical Express via My Disney Experience. The other option is once you are in LA, call and provide your flight details and they will send the packet out.

My guess is you need to change your address to the US one before ordering Magic Bands and putting in your flight info. I got vouchers and luggage tags in the mail once I provided my airline info. On arrival you can go straight to the bus and they will ship your luggage and they will deliver it to your room (tip).

The front of line perk is not good at Cabana Bay. Do the math and see if it is cheaper to buy a fotl pass and stay at Cabana Bay vs. staying at a hotel that includes fotl. If it is just you it may be cheaper but with 2 or more it is likely a better deal to stay at one of the three. I don't know how busy it will be during your visit but when I used the perk the lines were massive so it was fantastic.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 07:18
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

It's not true if you pick up the magic bands at your hotel, you can only get grey. You can customize them (any color you want and your name inside) and they will be waiting for you at check in :)

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

I was part of a very large group and many, many, many were only able to get gray. I was asked by lots of people how I got a color other than gray. Maybe it was a fluke, I have not idea but they could only have gray. I was told there was a box there on arrival with their bands in them already made up in gray.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 16:24
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Jennifer, if you're staying on site and sign up on My Disney Experience and link your reservations, you receive an email from Disney telling you it's time to customize your bands. You can pick any color you want and tell them how you want your name printed. Then if you're in US they ship them, out of US you pick them up when you check in.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

Thank you all for your replies so far! Very helpful and also awesome about being able to customise the magic bands even if I'm not in the US. I'll just pick mine up then. I just need to make sure I have my Magic Express reservation number with me instead of the Magic Band then won't I?

10. Re: Disney World advice for an Aussie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:15