We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value for money

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Value for money

Hi all

I am due to fly out to Orlando on the 27th August just want to get idea of the cost of things out there at the moment. exchange rate for the UK is about 1.63 to the dollar, but i have no idea on costs in Florida, eg petrol, food and drink in parks, meals etc.

Appreciate any help you can give me

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Value for money

Gas approx £2.00 a gallon, food wise I'd say $100 pppd should cover it.

If you get onto www.baynews9.com. This site has a lot of information that you may find useful.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Value for money

I can't really remember on petrol but sure it was cheaper than here!

Food and drinks in parks vary. Just to give you an idea these are some of the thing we bought -

Turkey leg - $10

Burger and fries with drink - no more than $15

Mickey pretzel - think it was $5

Large soft serve ice cream - think about $2 - $3

Minute maid lemonade - about $3 - $5 depending on size

Sit down restaraunts in the parks are obviously more expensive. We had a pizza and drinks from Via Napoli in Epcot and it was about $50 with tip.

There are a variety of restaurants to eat at on International Drive and beyond which are good value for money.

Remember portion sizes are huge, it's no lie! I don't care who you are you cannot eat a 3 course meal in Orlando. There's lots of fast food places which we are at a couple of times to keep costs down.

Also remember that you are expected to tip so always budget this in when going to a restaurant.

Have fun :-)

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,400 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Value for money

Petrol is way cheaper than it is over here that's for sure! As Tre85 say, food portions are massive and we often share a main course. We have never yet (in 20 years) managed a three course meal anywhere in the USA!! Look at your restaurant bills carefully as the tip is sometimes added automatically.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Value for money

Eating is the last thing you want to do when its so hot we actually just want to drink more. I think $100 pppd as above is too much for us we usually have around $200 per day for 5 of us and we usually have lots left over at the end so buy a bit of stuff in parks /downtown Disney etc as well as take home about $250 -$300 for the next visit.

I think its down to your own preferences of what you will be doing.We have some character meals and also some counter service meals in Disney.Some people want to make sandwiches each day. You can view menus for most the park restaurants online and get an idea of how much food and drink is going to cost you.

You can also go to store sites like Walmart work out what you may buy. Most of the restaurant chains like Denny's have the menus and prices on line too, plus a lot of them do loyalty discounts coupons etc if you sign up to them.

Oh and don't forget that most prices exclude tax when you buy them then the tax at 6 %approx is added on top.

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Value for money

This will give you food costs inside Disney: http://allears.net/dining/menu

I figure food at $60/day. $10 for breakfast, although we usually buy muffins at Publix and eat on our drive to the park. $20 for lunch, though it is closer to $15 for a basic cheeseburger & fries lunch and $30 for dinner. This can vary wildly depending on whether you eat at a simple place like Cracker Barrel or prefer a fancy steak. I usually have a Mickey Bar or Dole Whip as a snack.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Value for money

Check around for your exchange rates, a lot of places are nearing 1.7. My local place is 1.69 just now. It all adds up! Is turkey legs $10 now!?! Sure it was 6, I'd pay 20 though because there amazing!!! P.s. its no turkey on them lol

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Value for money

Thanks for all your comments Guys really useful.

corby
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Value for money

a good place to exchange money is MoneyCorp, i found them on moneysupermarket.com, they were offering a further discount last week, maybe they still have but you might need to go through moneysupermarket first

this might sound like acting like a cheapskate, in some restaurants you can find coupon booklets in the foyer areas, we ate at the golden corral, before we paid i noticed a coupon for 10% off price, so used it right away

there were other decent discounts on restaurants, Wonderworks, boat rides ect...

not all gas stations are the same price, fill up a car further away from theme parks as it'll be cheaper

if you're spending a few days in parks buy their refillable mugs, the first time you'll pay a bit extra, after that i think its a $1 a refill, or go to a walmart store and buy bottled water to take to parks

to get an idea on restaurant prices, you can go to google maps, find the area you'll be staying and search for restaurants, each one should have a website with info on menus, prices, ect...

and i wouldn't buy gifts and souvenirs from theme parks, there are much cheaper places, such as walmart and shopping oulets

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Value for money

You'd have to be seriously hungry to get through $100 a day pp on food... yikes!

Sometimes for lunch we'll nip in a Publix supermarket and the deli counter will make you up a foot long sub to order and it'll only cost a few quid. They also do buckets of hot chicken and stuff, seriously $20 tops between two of you inc drinks max.

We'll also get them made up in the mornings and take to a water park day out trip to save messing about.

10. Re: Value for money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16