We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions, any advice! :)

Billinge, England...
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions, any advice! :)

Hello all,

Another very varied post which could go either way, but I have never been to Florida and due to having a tight budget we are looking to just spend the best we can.

First off (this will affect the other 2 questions! :) )

I hear spring break is about 6 week between mid march - april. Now I know this is country wide but is it best to travel outside this time totally or just Florida spring break times? As we were looking at 18/3 - 1/4 as this is about £1400 - £1450 (flying with Virgin Atlantic).

Question 2:

Universal vs Disney

We are a 21 and 20 year old couple, we won't aren't into such things as the disney meals or the characters etc.

We would be going for Universal 3 park and discovery cove ultimate swim package (we will be stayin near the entrance to wet n wild) (£730ish)

Or

Disney 14 day pass (only)

So access to all disney areas,is there enough here for the 2 of us? Would it be enough to outweigh all the other parks? We won't be driving so would need a bus here every day. (Around £800 unless we can get a 7 day for the price of 14 deal).

Question 3:

If we were to get on a Virgin Atlantic flight I could take my golf gear for free. Would taxis be very expensive from mid international drive to the courses? What is the price range for the courses? And could my girlfriend walk around the courses with me as a non-playing guest?

Thank you for the help and any answer to either of the questions is much appreciated!

Ryan

Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

Are these the only dates you can travel?

Were the same age as you and are going in November for 18 days, hotel, flights and 14 day ticket for both disney and universal cost us £1230pp.

I'm disney mad, but in terms of rides to suit your age universal is probably best to spend your time on.

You can use the Mears taxi website to get an estimate of taxi fares between two locations. Hope some of this is helpful.

Billinge, England...
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

Nope, March, April or May for 2 week minimum. I'm only 21 in December so it needs to be next year and we don't want to leave it till September/October as we are impatient! Haha.

I only picked those dates as they are the cheapest total price for flights for VA.

16/4 - 2/5 (16 nights) is £1560 but unfortunately its Thomas Cook flights (Virgin Flights are around £600 - £700 per person over April and May).

Thanks for confirming what I had thought about Universal! :)

Also thanks for the taxi website, wasn't sure on what website to look at!

Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

Ah I see, try shopping around for prices, the can change daily!

If you're confident in booking late, January has some good offers!

The universal and discovery cove ultimate package are definitely the best options for you. Cheaper than disney tickets and more suited to the age group. :)

Billinge, England...
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

Unfortunately I am incredibly impatient haha so I will be booking before September so I can start getting excited! Haha.

Thank you very much!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

What a shame you have just missed the VA and BA sales. We got flights next May to MCO from LGW for £530 each plus 2000 VA miles. The same ticket is now £619. May is a very good time to go IMHO. No Spring Breakers and nice weather. You could wait until next Jan or Feb when the airlines have another sale but I think that would be too late for you if you decide to go in May?

UK
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

BA usually have a sale in August / September if you can wait that long.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

Im going in may and booked as a package for £1048 each with Thomson- 2 weeks at Rosen at pointe. So May isn't too expensive! I guess maybe cheaper as DIY but I wanted to book early and only had the cash for the deposit. I'd also agree on doing the discovery cove ultimate and universal- me and my partner are in our 20s and that's exactly what we're doing.

Scotland
Level Contributor
657 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

If you're not into Disney then I'd say skip it too, you'll have plenty to do with all the other parks. Remember you can always pay for a day's admission to a Disney park at the gate if you find yourselves with a spare couple of hundred quid once you're over there, or if you get the feeling that "you can't not go, can you?". Also Downtown Disney is a big shopping/eating area which is free entry and would give you a bit of a "feel" for Disney. There's also Disney Boardwalk free too, but I've not been so can't comment.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

The golf question - download golfnow app you get good rates using this all the courses are on there

You don't walk around courses in Florida the cost of a buggy is included in your round

Your GF can usually ride with you however some courses charge extra for that

Also if you are a single player you will more than likely be paired up with another golfer/s to make a 2 ball or possibly a 3 ball

A taxi could be expensive or not depending on where you play

Edited: 13 July 2014, 10:27
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions, any advice! :)

For getting around on the cheap - the local bus service is Lynx. You can download timetables from their websites and plan your route. golynx.com.

I'd go Universal - perhaps with a day pass for Disney Hollywood Studios, which is the most similar to Universal (again, you can catch the bus here, just change at SeaWorld)