We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

After my post on here last week I wanted some further advice.

I booked car hire with Alamo through Alamo.co.uk, have pre paid the cost. I have booked a child's booster seat and have 2 additional drivers.

I used the SaveTime option through Alamo.co.uk that is linked in the email booking confirmation.

The confirmation I now have printed has a barcode at the top of the page, saying 'status booked'. The barcode is 12 digits, starting RS (if that's even relevant)

Under the barcode is states we have to 'take the elevator down to the first level, Alamo is located in the middle of the first floor in the airport terminal. Proceed to the counter obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys.'

It also mentions nearer he bottom of the page about Alamo Kiosk.

I then went on Alamo.com and logged in using my reservation number. I selected to check in online.

I have also completed that and have confirmation which has a barcode at the top but no digits underneath it. It states 'check in confirmation XXXXXXXXX' (confirmation number) 'congratulations you have successfully checked in online'

At the bottom of this confirmation it also states 'please proceed to the Alamo counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys'

So here's my question -

Has anybody actually had confirmation that states not to go to the counter??

For those that have the some confirmation as I've explained above, have you gone straight to the garage to select the car.

I'm reluctant to make a mistake but I would like to try this service out if it can make a difference to future visits to Orlando.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

I tried alamo save time twice in the past and twice I had to go to the desk just like every other punter...

Maybe something I did wrong, but when I scanned/input the details into any of the terminals, they directed me to the desk :0(

Maybe I should have gone straight to garage.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

ignore what it says on your sheet , go straight to the garage ,

On a side note I think maybe Alamo.co.uk have changed something as I to can now check in on dot com , where last week I couldn't

but I was planning on going straight to the garage anyway (with save time), last year I used virgin and checked on online , my print out still said to go to the counter , I ignored it and went to garage with no problems

Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

After checking in online through Alamo.com it has now given me the option to 'skip the counter'.

When I proceed to the next page it states the following

Protection Options (previously selected)

Collision Damage Waiver $24.99 / DAY

Accept or Decline

Extended Protection $12.44 / DAY

Accept or Decline

Roadside Assistance Protection $4.99 / DAY

Accept or Decline

Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage $8.00 / DAY

Accept or Decline

Has anybody else come across this that have booked an Alamo Gold Package?

If I 'accept' the CDW and EP will it charge me again for those even though it's included in our package that we've already paid for.

On the other hand, if I decline the CDW and EP I'm wondering if it will remove them from our booking altogether.

Can anybody advise?

Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

What the hell are Alamo doing?

I have been trying for weeks to check in online or even save time and could not do it, even rang and emailed Alamo in the States but they said because i had booked with a 3rd party i would have to go to the counter as there was no way i could check in online.

Guess what after reading this thread i tried again and bang ive checked in and as the original poster has said i am in exactly same boat. Thnaks

Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

JohnnyWelsh are you in the same position as in you don't want to accept or decline the options on the 'bypass the counter' page?

Or have you only gone as far as checking in online?

Edited: 18 July 2014, 10:31
Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

I-am-evil-homer I'm reluctant to not do the process correctly.

Before finding the 'bypass the counter' option after I had checked in online I assumed I had done it properly but now I've found that option I know I can't proceed to the garage without completing it. See post #3

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

I tried online checkin yesterday - didn't work (error message), tried today & it did work. I left the 2 preselected options as acccepted (paid for in original booking) & declined the bottom 2 (roadside & something else). Summary stated zero additional charges although I did have to enter card details. Confirmation says go to counter but I'm going to chance my arm this time & go straight to the garage :)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

Are any of the 2 documents you have 5 or 6 pages long?

Having previously booked through Virgin Atlantic and checked in online I printed out a document that had this number of pages and was my "rental agreement" complete with barcode. I can't remember what format the barcode took. I have also never separately done "save time" and never had an issue collecting an Alamo car, not sure why everybody thinks you need to do this in addition to online check in as you must be duplicating the input of required information.

The worst that can happen in any case is you go straight to the garage and they send you back to the counter. It's no big deal really other than having to deal with a desk agent as they are seperated by a road. If you go to the garage an they do send you back you should at least have been able to pick your car 1st. Unless it's changed Alamo car keys are in the vehicles at MCO and not kept at the counter.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

No just one page - barcode on top right (I didn't print the rental agreement - think it was 17 pages or so). I figure the same - all they can do is send you back to the desk!

Just trying to avoid the upgrade conversation "you won't have room for those cases" or "you have to prepay your fuel" although "well tbh honest I had the same class last time & it was more than sufficient" or " I always leave it back full" tends to keep it quite short...although last time the clerk tried to add on without evening telling me but fortunately I don't sign without checking!

Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Alamo SaveTime and Online Check-in...again!

I wasn't aware until I had done SaveTime that I could go through Alamo.com after my post last week on TA and being told as I booked through Alamo.co.uk I was unable to check in online.

I only checked through curiosity and it seems it's now possible so this post will help out fellow TA members wanting to bypass the counter and can educate others with now out of date information.

When I logged in through Alamo.com it already had my drivers information from my SaveTime submitted on Alamo.co.uk.