We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Save Topic
Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Hi. I have just returned to the UK from holiday in Orlando and while I was there, I picked up a traffic citation for running a stop sign which resulted in an accident with another vehicle. On attempting to pay the fine online to the court, I was asked whether I wish to elect for a Florida approved driver improvement school (DDS) which may waive points (4 points I think) on my license, provided that I send a pass certificate to the court within 90 days. As I only have a UK license, I understand that this will not affect me in the UK, but I am wondering whether there is any benefit in attending a DDS, bearing in mind that I intend to revisit USA next year and may take up car hire again. I have spotted from an internet search that there are online DDS providers claiming to be Florida approved, which I could do from home over the internet (it takes 4-6 hours to do) for around $25 - $30. These providers also claim that online attendance will reduce the $166 citation fine by up to 18%. Has anybody any knowledge of, or done one of these online courses as part of a citation and are they reputable? Are they difficult to pass? My concern is whether would be any real benefit in attending a course to get the points removed, bearing in mind that (a) any points on my US driving record will only last 3 years anyway (at most 3 driving holidays); (b) I am unsure whether these points (4, I think) will make occasional short-term car hire/insurance in the US more difficult or expensive anyway (I have a clean UK license); (c) I am particularly concerned that according to the online citation payment form, if I elect to do the course and fail (70% pass mark), it will result in the court removing my right to drive in USA - so I could be unnecessarily setting myself up to fail! I would appreciate any informed views on whether it would be best to just take the points or do the course, given that I will be taking up US car hire in the future. Thanks. (I would add that I recently booked to do a UK-based safe driver course before I had this accident, so I am not disputing the obvious safety benefits).

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,984 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Hmmm. This is an interesting question. My feeling would be that it would be to your advantage to take the course and eliminate the points. This would probably be more helpful for future US driving & car rentals than getting the fine reduced (although that would be nice too). A 70% pass standard does not sound too difficult if you are serious about doing well.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

The online classes are really easy and it would probably be a good idea to do it if you plan to travel again to Florida and drive. Make sure you choose one that will forward your pass certificate to the State of Florida for you. Also, make sure to pay your ticket or they will "suspend" your license in Florida which means that if you get stopped by an officer in the future they can choose to arrest you and take you to jail for a night until you straighten things out.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Take the course-if you want to make sure it is legit,e mail the Clerk of Courts in the county where you were stopped.And of course,pay the fine. The online course is very easy and you should have no problem at all getting 70%.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,219 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Personally I would just pay the fine

I can't see the benefit to a UK licence holder of taking a course

Just as there would be no benefit for a US licence holder taking one here for a traffic infringement in the UK

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,808 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Yes take the course you don't want to banned from driving in Orlando and miss Mickey and his friends.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Like it bothers US diplomats in London, according to recent reports they owe £££££££££ in unpaid driving fines:-(:-(

I would do whatever I could to make sure I was able to drive over there, just make sure any online "work" is legit;-)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,219 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

The points won't go on your UK licence will they so if it's not mandatory to take the test - you won't be banned from driving in the USA if you don't so why would you?

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Pay the fine.....no need for you to take any course.

Can you link to the advertisement for the class?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,219 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

Also it may be relatively easy for US drivers to obtain the 70% pass rate but do drivers from the UK know all your rules of the road

Would you know ours? I think not

Haweye - a sensible answer

To the OP I can't believe you even thought about taking the test - who takes tests they don't need to and pay for the privilege lol

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florida driving citation - effect on future US car hire

ok., my niece has done this course a few times. She did it for her insurance premiums not to rise.

given if you have under 6 points on your license in total, I would not bother. As you can rent a car if you have up to 6 points if the points are not DUI related.

BUT DO check your UK driving insurance to see if points gained abroad will affect you. they are notorious for trying to find the smallest thing to reject your clam should you have to claim,