We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

belfast
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Just back after my 3rd trip from Orlando just my husband and myself both in our mids 30's. We stayed in the Rosen Plaza on I drive- have to say we really enjoyed this hotel especially the fact it had a great deli for those late nite returns after the parks and a great bar. The location was great as well just opposite the Pointe Orlando.

A few observations-

Weather- was the worse we have ever had and it does but a damper on things. We talked to a couple and it was there 7th time there and they totally agreed. We got rain every day but one. It wasn't like the normal afternoon shower which we are use to this was black clouds bad rain most of the afternoon and early evening. Very little " sunny days". This did have an impact on our trip as we planned a number if beach days which were a wash out. We also booked tickets for a race at Daytona which after 3hrs sitting in the rain was cancelled. Also, travelling to the various parks eg. Busch gardens and only getting a few rides before it shutting for the storms is annoying.

Location- I drive is undergoing a re development just past pirates cove golf. This will include the I drive eye and a number of other things. Many new restaurants are also due to open here which will be brill when finished.

As I said our hotel was opposite pointe orlando- I had never realised how good this place becomes after dark. Some really good bars and restaurants. Also, a comedy bar which we will try some time in the future. A wee tip is at the pointe orlando there is a Tommy Hilfiger shop which is the cheapest around.

Parks- we mostly focused on universal. The parks were busy but nothing unusual for this time if yr. We tried the new Harry potter ride which I thought was very good. My advice is too go late afternoon was the wait was around 1hr 45mins. It moved all the time. Diageon Alley just is really full of themed shops interesting too see though. The hogswart express was fun but I agree with others the video/images are a little basic.

We tried the new transformers ride which I found ok, a little disappointing just similar IMO to Spider-Man.

Restaurants- we like a mixture of chains and off beat places. The ones we enjoyed included -

4 rivers smokehouse, so tasty and reasonable,

yellow dog eats- best sandwich anywhere

Toojays- again good sandwich

Millers ale house- good all rounder

Bahamas breeze- great cocktails

Manny chophouse- amazing steak

Texas de Brazil- you can't leave this place hungry.

Shopping- I found the outlets this year really hit or miss. Def an increase in price from 2 yrs ago with I feel more bargains to be had else where. For example the Victoria secrets in the mall and at pointe orlando at better deals than the outlet. The bras where def more expensive at the outlets. Also, my husband wanted a Ralph Lauren hoodie and he couldn't get one at either outlet.

I did pick up some bargain at the Macy's sale especially on Michael kors shoes and a range of handbags.

Just some of my thoughts on our trip. We had fun but think we will def be going else where for a few yrs just until there are some new rides and things to see and explore.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Brazil
Brazil
South America
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Blackbird Vintage Music
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Shooting Gallery
Gift & Speciality Shops
Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back

Good summary, thanks for sharing. Shame about the weather 💦😞

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back

Thanks for the report, good idea to see other places, you'll be back eventually, lots to see in the world :)

(from the pics I've seen on facebook from people in Orlando, does seem a bit more rainy this year :(

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back

Bummer about the weather! We had thought about going this past week because of my son's birthday, so glad we didn't. I have heard from others about how bad the rain has been. :( We went the last week of June and it was the hottest we have ever experienced there I think. The rain wasn't bad, but the pool at the Portofino kept shutting down due to storms "in the area", but most of the time we never heard thunder or saw a black cloud. It really does put a damper on things. I know that there is always a chance, but our usual experience is they shut the pool down for maybe 30 minutes every late afternoon or early evening, but not every time we want to swim. I told my hubby that I just might be done with the summer vacations. We had gone the first week of June that last two times so not sure if that made a difference or just luck, some rain, but not bad. I will probably complain after going in November because of it being too cold to swim. Ha! ha!

Nice to hear that the lines were not too bad for Harry Potter's new ride and train. :)

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back

Great summary thanks and sorry to hear about the weather :( We go end of August hopefully be a dryer experience! Interesting to hear how some of the outlets are more expensive I think you have to shop around and figure if its worth what you want to pay. Taking advantage of tourists having higher prices there though I think!

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back

Good tr but a real shame about the weather it's usually rain then clear blue sky's

Europe
Level Contributor
346 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back

Great report and sorry to hear about the weather. When we were there a few years ago I got some bargains at Macys also.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,488 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back

Sorry your weather was so bad. Could you go at a different time next year? May and October are pretty good months. We have been in October for the past few years and the weather has been great.....hot and sunny with next to no rain. It is always disappointing when you get bad weather on holiday but it sounds as if you still had a good time.

This year we were in the Florida Keys in May and the weather was fantastic for our whole 16 days. I would highly recommend a holiday down there but again, you need to go before the wet weather sets in. Don't give up on Florida!

Lovesgetaways....good luck for November! We were in Orlando one November when it was so cold we had to buy fleeces from Outdoor World!!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back

Good tips there!! Virgin announced a new flight from Belfast for next year...keep an eye on those prices incase u do go back. Go on sale soon I think.

Any good bars on I drive you recommend? How did you find nightlife?

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
belfast
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Unfortunately we are pretty tied to the time of year we go as I am a teacher- we get good holidays so can't complain but unlike the English school system we get the most of our holidays July & August and not 2 week half term breaks. I know people we went Oct last yr and had great weather as well!

We only tried a few nightlife places-

BB kings on a fri or sat is brill full of people with live music. We also tried here on a Sunday night but it was a little quiet.

Señor frogs for cocktails but not really our scene.

Cuban restaurant / bar at pointe orlando unsure of the name on a sat night it was fab full Cuban dance party!

Millers- for quiet drinks and sport for the husband.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back

Thanks for sharing I'm sorry about the weather have you tried October as this month is nice it doesn't get as hot as now but you don't get the rain in the afternoon hope you do decide to go again try October