We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Waiver.. confused

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Visa Waiver.. confused

Hi there :-)

I'll be travelling to the USA from the UK in January 2015. But I've got myself rather confused with visas.. Would I just need to get a visa wavier? If so do I obtain it from the ESTA website? I've seen a few websites when I Google visa waivers, so I've no idea what I'm doing. The last time I went to the USA was with school back in 2005 and they sorted most of this out, and all I had to do was fill out the green card.

Also, my passport is machine readable (in that it has the two lines of >>> and my details), but it doesn't have a chip.. will this be ok?

Thank you

Amy :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Waiver.. confused

start by reading here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k3922…

the link to apply is within that thread ,and yes all you require is the ESTA (which is a visa waiver )

Edited: 25 July 2014, 18:10
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,078 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Waiver.. confused

If you are eligible to travel without a Visa (see http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp.html ) then you will need to apply for ESTA using https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

It costs $14. Find yourself on a lookalike site that charges more (likely if you start by googling ESTA) and you are paying extra for absolutely nothing extra.

If you are ineligble or your ESTA is refused you will need a Visa which costs more and takes a lot longer. So I recommend you set about this right away UNLESS your passport will expire before your trip - in which case, renew it right away and then proceed.

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Waiver.. confused

Thank you! :-)

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Waiver.. confused

Amy, at the top of the first page of posts on this forum there is a post that says "ESTA warning". It has the official link to the website on there. Your passport will be fine. When you fill out your ESTA, you are only required to give passport/personal details so don't worry about putting flight/hotel details down as you will see they are not asterisked and therefore not mandatory.

5. Re: Visa Waiver.. confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16