We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
859 posts
492 reviews
Save Topic
Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Quick question

I have friend about to depart (Monday) for sunny Orlando. Flying Continental Glasgow, Orlando via Newark. She has ofered to purchase some perfume for another friend.I Suggested it best to get in in one of the outlet shops in the discount malls but she thinks it will be ok to buy at Newark on the retrn journey. I was pretty sure no duty free is being allowed onto Uk bound planes (I'm off to Toronto, also via Newark in a few weeks and was assuming we wouldn't be allowed to buy anything to bring home). Can anyone who has come back recently advise?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Gill68, not sure what 's allowed, keeps changing...if it's any help someone on the airline forum was posting update's maybe you will find the answer there.... : ) 48

derbyshire uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Hi, we returned from Orlando Sanford on 24th Aug. I didn't buy anything from duty-free myself but the system seemed a good one, and everyone appeared happy with it. Once you had made your purchases from duty free they sealed the bags and attached a receip,t the buyer had a copy receipt. The bags were handed back to the buyers just before getting on to the plane, after the final security checks and ticket checks. Hope this makes sense, and helps. Carole

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

just returned two days ago

U can buy any thing in the duty free shops on the USA side, but they keep any liquids and give them to you just as you board the plane.

saves u carrying them around as well lol

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Hi carolp

this is nothing new this is the way the duty- free is dished out even before the security scare.

HAGGIS-MAN

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
859 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

Thanks guys. in the past the duty free was delivered to the plane at time of boarding and handed over to travellers. I had been told that this had now stopped for all UK bound flights and nothing was allowed on board however the latest update confirms this isn't the case.

6. Re: Question for travellers who've rtd to UK in last week or so

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 04:16