We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunpass/Toll roads

Newtownards, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sunpass/Toll roads

Visiting Orlando next month and was looking advice on the Sunpass. Is it something we should get before we go or is it better just to pay the tolls while we're there??

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

If you are renting a car, the rental company will try to sell it to you...as long as you are not going to travel the FL turnpike to South Florida or the 417 from the airport you will not need a pass. The 528 from the airport still has toll collectors for you to pay cash...just stay to the extreme right lines when traveling to/from the airport.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

It depends on where you are driving. In Central Florida only, there is no real necessity. You can see the local toll roads here: https:/…ExpressMap2009.pdf

All tolls are payable in cash IF you stay in the far RIGHT hand lane to pay. If you forget and accidentally go through a SunPass lane (on the LEFT) your car rental company will charge you a hefty "administrative" fee.

Now, if you're driving to Miami and all points south of there, that is a different story and you will need one.

wirra;
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

Think I've messed up on this. Twice the other day (can't remember where or when! ) I was approaching seeing signs saying $2 a car so had cash ready and followed sat nav instruction to find no cash lanes just sunpass cameras saying don't stop, no staff or anybody about so just carried on! Whoops!

Newtownards, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

Many thanks

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

Oh dear jomaido. You should have followed the "pay cash" signs and not the sat nav!! Don't know who you hired your car with but Alamo are one of the cheapest for the transponder. You could get a pretty hefty bill if you are with another company.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

Here is the rental car info. So you can see what charge is coming to your credit card. Hope you have not rented with Dollar!

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

wirra;
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

I was trying to put it to the back of my mind until I got home but thankfully I'm with Alamo! Phew! Haha

NI
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

We accidentally drove through a sun pass with no one there just a camera when our sat nav directed us onto the turnpike after missing an exit.... we put it back of our mind but when we got home we noticed our rental company (cant remember the name it was the one at Embassy Suites on iDrive) charged us only £10.00 for it so wasnt as bad as i thought!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

Follow the signs if you want to pay cash. They are HUGE, bright yellow. and very hard to miss.

It is very convenient to use the Sunpass around Orlando, but not necessary. You may want to have change on hand in case you exit where exact change is taken.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunpass/Toll roads

While everyone is correct that all the toll gates have cash lanes, what is VERY important to know is that if you do not have the right coinage, you can be up a creek without a paddle. (thanks, Surffish!)

I cannot tell you all the times that I try to go through toll gates here and some poor soul is trying to pay their toll, but does NOT HAVE THE RIGHT CHANGE, and most toll gate off ramps are unmanned, so if you don't have the right change, good luck paying. So there sits this poor soul, scrambling for change, or looking entirely bewildered, while the cars stack up behind him/her. And for the all too-busy Floridians, (yes, that includes me) it's even worse when they have ignored the signs and entered the PrePaid lanes and STOPPED because they do not know what to do.