We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Hi

I was looking for some opinions on the pros and cons of my latest holiday idea.

we (2+2) are planning to go to Orlando (again) for our holiday in Easter next year and i'm lucky enough to be able to get three weeks.

The prices however mean that we cant fly direct and have to really hunt to get the best prices. In doing this I can see an alternative which will probably work out the same in terms of over all money but would give a different aspect to the holiday and I was looking to check it against the thoughts of those in the forum.

Sooooooo do I;

Fly with one stop to Orlando get my three week villa and use this as my base, this year we went to Saint Augustine, Silver Springs and Sarasota (we like to venture out a bit)

or

Do I get off in New York, stop have two days then drive down to Orlando visiting the major cities on the way down (probably do it over 4 nights) have two weeks in the villa and then fly back up to New York for a day and night before flying back the next day. Its 1000 miles approx. but I enjoy driving and I don't think it would be to difficult.

if you think this would be a better option, do you think I would be better to drive down to Orlando

OR up to New York.

I looked at returning from Orlando but the costs count it out as an option.

Any opinions/Advise would be greatly appreciated.

I wish all my dilemma were this good!!

Thanks

John

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Driving and stopping off as you go could be a fun road trip. But you need to make sure when you rent the car, you let them know you're crossing state lines and the car will be returned to Orlando airport, not NYC.

This will be at an extra charge too.

It depends how you're planning to fly though but you have other options too.

DO check the prices of Thompson direct from Glasgow and Edinburgh, also check direct prices from Manchester (You can get a train direct to MAN from Glasgow Central), or you can go via Dublin (this is my fav option) with aer lingus.

Check with the airline websites themselves too as prices can change and sometimes its not cheaper on a price comparison website!

That said, I often fly Edinburgh to Newark (train from newark to manhattan) stay there for a few days then fly down to MCO. Jetblue are cheap IMO from JFK

Edited: 30 July 2014, 20:00
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

My immediate thoughts:

Can everyone cope with 4-5 hours driving a day for 4 days?

One way rentals are more expensive.

Doing a connecting flight isn't too troublesome if it's going to save money.

Have you costed out staying in NYC for a couple of nights then flying down?

Do you have a set date when you go or can you be flexible on days? Sometimes just changing the days buy 1 or 2 can give better prices on flights.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,741 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

I think the first question is do you really want to visit New York? If so, how long?

If not, a Jet Blue flight makes a lot of sense. It would be a good time saver. If you really want to drive, then I would post these questions on the Road trips forum. Charleston and Savannah are places you would enjoy seeing and I recommend that you visit both.

When you say "The prices however mean that we cant fly direct" are you referring to Orlando flights? In the US, Direct means no change of planes, but possibly a stop. I assume you're talking about non-stops. All non-stops are direct, not all direct flights are non-stop. So, have you priced other direct flights (but not non-stops)?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
917 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

When I was a teenager we flew to San Francisco and drove to LA- not exactly the same but we really enjoyed it and stopped overnight on the way. There was 5 of us but we got a 7 seater so there was room to spread out. 4-5 hours driving a day isn't so bad as long as you aren't all cramped in a little car. Got to see some places we would have otherwise missed and we still talk about the overnight stop as our fave part of the trip! So I say as long as you are interested in seeing NY then go for it.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

We have flown Edinburgh to MCO via New York, once into JFK and a few times into Newark. We continued to Orlando with the same carrier, every time. Once we stopped in New York for a few days on the way back. We could have stayed in Orlando another week, for the cost of a few nights in Manhattan. The cost of hotels in New York is an eye opener after Orlando.

We did enjoy our stopover in New York, cheaper than a trip to New York alone.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Thanks McLaren, I'm pricing it at the moment around at 1£1900 for Glasgow to New York and £2400 Edinburgh to Orlando but I've been at it for a few months now and there doesn't seem to be much movement on the prices.

I'll check out the Thomson's direct prices

By the way what is happening with Lewis!! if he turns up on my plane (which I doubt) I getting off cause there is a 99% chance something is going to go wrong!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Thanks everybody,

I think we could handle the driving but would be prepared to do a "through the night" to get us there if the kids started to feel it.

I've heard that there is a charge for the car hire due to change of drop off but when I prices through Alamo the difference over same drop off was £30 quid. so I'll need to phone to confirm.

I love the America! and would love to do some real touring around once the kids grow out of the parks but I think even at there age (9/12) the empire state and the white house would be sites the will never forget so. I think i'm swaying towards the New York stop and then drive down.

which I suppose just leaves me with the "getting back to New York" bit to sort out. My biggest fear is that I loose two to three days "travelling" which is what the return might feel like.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

Dunno re Lewis although Nico is doing not too bad a job. You want Nico on yer flight ;)

Check aer lingus from their website, via dublin. You clear US customs there too pre clearance - very handy!

But I still think using jetblue to go from T5 JFK to MCO would be your best bet if you fly in to New york and want to stay over a couple of nights. Plenty of hotels you can pick from there too.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

If you end up driving down, I'd suggest trying to spend a couple of days in Washington. It's by far got the most and the best stuff to see.

Best case, you should try to spend a couple of nights in a hotel just outside of the city. If you're there any time from Thursday through Sunday the price will be a half to a third of what it is during the congressional work week. You should also make sure to book a hotel that's adjacent to or near a metro station because that's a primary means of transportation in the region.

If you decide to pass up DC, be sure to miss the extended rush hours during the week. Traffic in the region is horrendous. There are a few more hot spots along the way, but DC is the worst.

I never really considered much to the South of DC worth stopping at until maybe Savannah (which I've never been to), but I'm sure there's stuff that's interesting.

And, the trip from DC to Orlando is around 13 hours and I've driven it straight through more than once. I assume the "4 to 5 hour" limit is because of the kids. I usually consider 8 hours to be a minimum driving day.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hoilday Idea Scotland > NYC > Orlando.

We did the Edinburgh to Orlando via Newark flight a couple of years ago and broke the journey home with 5 days in NYC. By tagging New York on at the end it meant we were over the jet lag (previously did it first and were in our bed by 5pm every night!).

We booked through Trailfinders who were terrific and saved us a fortune by booking an 'open jaw' ticket Edinburgh to Orlando then back NYC to Edinburgh - they also booked us an internal flight Orlando to NYC which was peanuts.

We are coming to Orlando again in September and were going to come via Newark (because we can leave from Edin) but the Thomson Charter from Glasgow worked out about £250 cheaper pp so def worth checking that out